Argh, huge zuchini's (marrows)

brightlights60, Jan 5, 9:04am
Been away, came back to some humungus marrows (big zuccini's). Only my SIL who is away likes these big buggas for stuffing and freezing. We only like the little ones. So, have about 2 or 3 at over 3kg each if someone wants them! Redwood way, can list if someone wants to pick up.

karakagranny, Jan 5, 9:51am
You could make a nice pickle with them. Thats what I did last year. I use the old fashioned 'Bread and Butter' pickle recipe - not sure if Aunty Daisy or Edmonds book - and substitute with the courgettes.

canz, Jan 6, 2:48am
Yummy that would be good, will do that with Kumi Kumi that I don't use,Thanks karakagranny

karakagranny, Jan 6, 3:28am
You can make Bread and Butter pickle out of any vegetable. Great way of using up the excess from the garden :)

macandrosie, Jan 7, 12:43am
If you have hens they will enjoy them! Just slash them open lengthways & let them at the fleshy part!

redblue4, Jan 7, 12:45am
Vegetarian friend gave me this recipe,
Grate entire marrorw Add bread crumbs egg green herb stock salt and pepper.Dip in bread crumbsFry in oil.

People often ask me if they are fish and everyone has loved the taste. Cheap alternative to meatr when entertaining too.

maclad, Jan 7, 4:04am
Or you could grate and freeze them and use as thickening in soup, stews etc

maclad, Jan 7, 4:05am
They are not bad to eat if tough skin removed and then steamed with plenty of butter and seasoning.

net_oz, Jan 7, 6:52am
Cut them in half longways. Scoop out the seeds. Put in some seasoned mince etc. Sprinkle some cheese on top. Bake in the oven. Quick, easy and tasty meal for everyone.

dms01, Jan 7, 10:59am
Do you like lemon curd! there is a terrific recipe for lemon curd where you replace the eggs with marrow. You can't tell the difference and it's better for you! I think the recipe is on NZ gardener's website or just ask in recipes, someone will know

canz, Jan 22, 2:09am
So yummy sounding recipes here
karakagranny do you have a recipe for bread and butter pickle, I lost mine years ago, and don't have any cook books anymore. except one I write myself about 20 years ago, Should get it reprints and sell on here. but still don't have that recipe all the recipes I read I can see they are too spicy.