What would be stealing my oranges?

Page 1 / 2
trade4us2, Aug 1, 4:12pm
I had a couple of dozen oranges ripening on my deck and some still on the trees, and there's only four left. I doubt that people are taking them. There are no peelings anywhere.
It's probably a possum or rats. But would they carry them all away or eat them straight away?

rednicnz, Aug 1, 6:40pm
The birds eat the ones on the tops of my mother-in-law's trees, but leave the peel attached to the tree! Unusual there is no trace left.

androth2, Aug 1, 7:48pm
If you live in certain areas than some people came in and strip trees of all the fruit which can be reached.

deendon1, Aug 2, 11:38pm
weird this I had the same problem with my apples

I think it unlikely a person took them (up at the back of the garden behind a fence etc etc) but there were a fair few apples on the tree then suddenly all gone without trace in May (so they were unripe! )

les6, Aug 3, 7:17pm
I would say a rat,the two legged variety!

aaron235, Aug 3, 7:50pm
put a large scoop of peanut butter on tree pussom will eat all in one go,, rats take several trips leaving clues,,,humans ignore

marte, Aug 4, 2:01am
'Orange #####s" !

kittylittle, Aug 22, 7:05pm
bingo. Get a dog.

strathview, Aug 22, 9:03pm
I had a similar problem. Eggs going missing in the hen house. Set up a hidden camera and got a shock to see rats of the the two legged variety. Cheeky blighters.

quillta1, Aug 23, 1:23pm
Not sure about oranges but i have seen plenty of lemons hanging on the tree with no skin. Possums love it. Oranges are often eaten by birds and other critters

skye96, Aug 26, 10:57am
My cabbage tree looks like it had rot. Everything dead, no green leaves left. The guy that came to prune my other trees said it was Possums. They are very hungry at this time.

bryalea, Aug 26, 2:13pm
Possums taste and waste. More than eat all of something. I have had people come in and help themselves to the fruit off our trees in the house section at the farm. We have lemons, mandarins and oranges.

tegretol, Aug 27, 11:22am
Tie a length of fishing line thru the middle of one and hook it onto a chair inside. As soon as the 'thief' makes their daring move, rush around the house and shout 'gotchya'. You'd get a better answer than asking strangers on here, none of whom even know where you live!

gph1961, Aug 27, 5:20pm
2 leg rats
caught them taking my apples/peaches/mandarins/apric-
ots

lyl_guy, Aug 27, 5:23pm
We have possums (semi rural) but they seem to eat all the peel off and leave the full, naked lemon on the tree! Pests!

wingwalker, Aug 27, 7:03pm
2 leg rats as well for us. Good luck to them as they are very sour.

welshdude, Aug 27, 8:01pm
Do you have a neighbour called Irene? She took off with our lemons, so its conceivable she does orange heists as well.

galex, Aug 28, 5:02am
Ditto for 2 legged rats, caught one who had climbed up through the branches of an orange tree so she could get every single one on the tree. Scum.

bryalea, Aug 28, 9:58am
If it was peaches it woulda been the muffin man for sure.

bill1451, Aug 28, 6:35pm
na ha , get a hypodermic and inject with a laxative liquid, BUT KNOW WHICH ONES you have injected then sit back and watch, if its 2 legged rats they wont come baCK, 4 legged rats may just dehydrate or leave poop everywhere.

meoldchina, Aug 29, 7:50pm
Could it be a weka? They like brightly coloured things and have been known to carry away painted stones.

rainrain1, Aug 30, 8:19am
Possums. look for their droppings on the ground, a sure giveaway

gyrogearloose, Aug 31, 8:15pm
Do you live near Half Moon Bay/Highland Park? It would be the bicycle lady, I can tell you where she lives.

grouch, Sep 3, 7:09pm
Possums are getting my lemons at the moment. I set the Timms traps but they are by passing them and going straight for the lemons

trade4us2, Oct 2, 3:14pm
I have had an orange on my deck handrail for a month, and nothing is touching it or the fruit on the trees. I have not heard any possums for a month.