Any electricians here

jan2242, Oct 5, 10:35am
After a rough idea what it would cost to disconnect hot water cylinder and wire in a new on in a different area. The cylinder will put no further than 1 metre from main switchboard, and will be already plumbed in.

macman26, Oct 5, 1:03pm
Bit of a piece of string question. Relocation To near switch board probably at least $2-300. Depending on ease or running cable. Type of protection already on the board. But does sound like an easy job. Post a few pictures of your board and location. May get a more accurate idea of price.

jan2242, Oct 5, 5:13pm
Only reason I am asking as I have had it done. Was a cash job- 20 minutes at the most, $150. I thought it was rather high, but am out of tough with prices these days.

tygertung, Oct 6, 6:16am
$150 is reasonable as there is overheads involved with running the van and travelling to your location.

gpg58, Oct 6, 9:56am
Crickey, i would not even get out of bed for $150, let alone drive to site (and back), do job, restock vehicle with parts used, do paperwork etc, especially as in my experience, its usually the low price jobs, that have the worst payers and complainers(about cost).

onl_148, Oct 6, 12:01pm
When you say "cash job" do you mean "no invoice / no GST / no questions" ! or do you mean you paid the electrician in cash, instead of EFTPOS or on-line ?

tygertung, Oct 6, 1:27pm
I would certainly get out of bed for $150. I mean who wants to stay in bed all day? Would get pretty boring, and also my back gets a bit sore if I am lying down for much longer than 8 hours.

ryanm2, Oct 6, 9:53pm
But you're happy to waste your life away on this forum, free of charge too.

lyl_guy, Oct 6, 10:05pm
We've just paid an electrician $300 and that included a new switch on our very old switchboard. We had another guy quote us "$200 - 500" depending on wiring. Total cost of new SS cylinder and wiring = $3,000 (incl. new high pressure shower valve thingy). Worth every cent IMO - new, bigger cylinder outside - freed up heaps of space inside - but the best part is high pressure showers! Unbelievable difference, just love it!

ryanm2, Oct 7, 7:02am
Why not gas ?

lakeview3, Oct 7, 7:36am
sounds great. How do you put a hot water cylinder outside though? Seems unusual?

lyl_guy, Oct 7, 11:03am
There's a lot that are specially built for outside these days. Sits on a concrete slab and plumbed through the wall. I was a bit dubious too. but it's a 'thing' apparently. I even asked the plumber if we should cover it etc but he said no - it's built for the elements.

tygertung, Oct 7, 12:59pm
You can even get heat pump hot water cylinders now which use less electricity.

captaingraham, Oct 7, 3:03pm
Quite normal in Aus.

lyl_guy, Oct 7, 4:25pm
Yes, we looked into those, but sounded like more negatives than positives for us.

jan2242, Oct 8, 10:41am
cash job- no gst, invoice, anything. He lives in the same small town so travel was max 2 km. I am happy with the job so I am not complaining, just curious on the charge.

tygertung, Sep 22, 6:00pm
Just a code of compliance?