Eliminating flies outside

defluxing, Jan 11, 2:53pm
Looking for suggestions please on how to ideally eliminate, but realistically minimising is probably more likely, flies and blow flies from the garden.
Ideally I am looking for something as natural as possible.
Part of the problem is that my back lawn is 50% sand (deck ripped up and not replaced, and the sandy ‘soil’ exposed), so cats think it’s a giant litter box, so I’m going to pop a cat deterrent down too (the dog isn’t able to deter the middle of the night cats 😉).

I’ve seen that Diatomaceous Earth is supposed to repel flies and other insects - has anyone had any experience with that?

terri01, Jan 12, 7:20am
Easy home made fix, you can use a bit of old meat as well, any thing that will attract flies

https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-make-a-fly-trap-1389066

wasgonna, Jan 12, 7:48am
So it's cats and not flies that is the problem.

lythande1, Jan 12, 8:25am
You can't. Why nt fly screens on your windows and doors instead?

defluxing, Jan 12, 10:14pm
Sounds like it might be worth a crack - thanks.

defluxing, Jan 12, 10:16pm
Frankly, ‘cats are the problem’ is not a statement I would disagree with on many fronts, I am not a fan! However, suspect there is something else at play here than just the neighbourhood moggy’s.

defluxing, Jan 12, 10:19pm
No thanks - I bought a house with an outdoor area because I wanted to utilise it. Doesn’t seem plausible that it’s not treatable or able to be improved.

trade4us2, Jan 13, 8:59am
Those blue lights with an electric fence around them might help. Restaurants have them.

veda127, Jan 14, 7:36pm
Try planting Golden Moss. Pyrethyrum. Not sure of the spelling but most effective and an attractive plant.

gamefisher, Jan 15, 10:10am
Try Gordys fly traps for sale on here

articferrit, Aug 25, 8:08am
Dont leave piles of grass clippings around, they seem to encourage and breed flies, no idea why or how.