Decramastic roofs

denise105, Feb 7, 12:23pm
What is the best way to clean? I presume water blasting would remove the coating? My roof also has areas of rust where the coating has come away. TIA

gabbysnana, Feb 7, 12:58pm
these roofs contain asbestos and have become a nightmare, there are firms that recoat them or you re roof.

rainrain1, Feb 7, 1:05pm
We had ours recoated, then way down the track we reroofed because of leaks. Reroofed with coloursteel

jules286, Feb 7, 1:15pm
Don't water blast :-)
Being a female that does my own home maintenance :-) I have an extension that has decramastic tiles on it, the so-called professionals came in (as the house roof was being painted at the time) what a mistake this was.
Before they came I cleaned these tiles with the hose pointing up from the bottom edge of the tiles and previously with a soft brush when I was able to get up on to the roof, they came up very clean, and loose pieces stayed flat on the tile, or was removed.
Then when they came they water blasted the tiles, with the water blaster going from the top of the tile down, which then lifted any loose coating up, which they ended up putting debris under the loose coatings, I hadn't noticed this (as I had a broken foot and couldn't see) they then painted over top with the decramastic coating.
About 2 years later, these tiles were in a worse state, patches lifting up. Wanting these done correctly I tackled this myself, I scraped back the Patches of loose and lost coating, sealed the loose bits back down with a paintable waterproof sealer, then with my fingers I kind of created a look with this sealer to compensate for the missing pieces.
I covered any small patch with rust killer that also works as a primer, and I used the paint Roof Max, which I found great for covering these tiles, I did try another brand prior as a sample and it was too thin of paint and made the tile look worse. I believe with Roof Max, I don't think the rusted areas need priming etc before use, need to check this.

denise105, Feb 7, 1:19pm
The decramastic has lichen on them. Just want them to look better.

jules286, Feb 7, 1:29pm
I believe if you do get a positive test for asbestos, this needs to be reported on your limb report.
My roof was only water blasted 5 years ago, I hadn't known until recently (nor the roof painters told me) that these tiles contain asbestos, as long as asbestos is sealed it poses no risk, just needing to have perfect cleaning up skills, plus using water stops the fibre floating around in the air.
As my extension was a one-room and garage size, I also with foam and paintable water sealant, sealed the leaky bits. Would probably be too much for a whole house, a new roof would be a better idea.
If my neighbours would actually financially do their bit, I would have re-roofed this part, as my house and theirs are connected, and we share the same roof over our extensions, so I had no option other than to repair.

scuba, Feb 7, 1:36pm
denise105 wrote:
The decramastic has lichen on them. Just want them to look better.[/quote

Spray roof with a moss mould and lichen remover.Plenty of products available on here. Look for one you don’t have to wash off afterwards Some products have a nozzle system that attach to a hose . Easy job just follow the instructions .

denise105, Feb 7, 3:51pm
Thank you so much - might just do that.

pauldw, Feb 7, 6:19pm
AFAIK the asbestos was in the primer layer and it would be hard to release any fibres from that. Golfdiver was the resident expert but he seems to have disappeared for ever unless he has reincarnated as someone else.

trouser, Feb 8, 8:17am
The asbestos was used as a filler in the 'glue'. Bugger all chance of that getting airborne.

gabbysnana, Feb 8, 8:45am
as above it has indeed become airborne and waterborne.

xs1100, Feb 13, 5:18pm
just replace, decramastic roofs are a nightmare especially if your planning on staying yr house for a while, we just had 1 removed and replaced with proper iron as a long term protection from the decramastic failing in retirement

csador, Feb 15, 9:22am
dont water blast, you could potentially be spreading asbestos all around your neighborhood and could potentially be up for legal action. Regardless of whether its likely to spread (glue content as someone else mentioned) or not is not the issue, the law is the law

Just use some wet and forget or something, worked fine on my decromastic at my old house

p.monro, Aug 17, 5:53pm
yes----- use your garden spray with a mold killer. I have used hypochlorate 15% diluted with 4parts of water. Probably benzelconiiumclorate is ok.
Spray and leave for a few weeks. Spot paint rusty patches with paint brush Then wash down. Hire an airless spray gun and put 2 coats
Thus avoid having a new roof for 10 years.
The difficulty is to find a tradesman who will do the job. They prefer to make heaps by replacing