Hi, how do you make porridge in a slow cooker?

mistletoe22, Oct 6, 9:24am
Have just bought a 3.5l sloe cooker to make porridge for family. How long does it take to cook - can I leave it on low for 10 hours?

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 6, 11:26am
Yes.

But you can do the same thing using a homemade version of a straw box, which is an insulated container for a bowl that holds the oats, topped with boiling water, before being closed up and left overnight. It is the way my grandmother made hers for years.

tygertung, Oct 6, 1:25pm
If you grind the oats in a blender so that it is fine, it cooks pretty much instantly anyway.

lythande1, Oct 6, 1:56pm
Why would you? It takes no time at all really.

bluefrog2, Oct 6, 8:32pm
Do you mean oat or rice porridge? Oat porridge probably should be done in a pot because you have to stir and stir it.
Rice porridge in a slow cooker does make sense, even though I've never tried it. Probably stick 1 cup of rice and lots of water in, and turn on auto.

Edit: If you want fast oat porridge for breakfast. 1/3 cup oats, in a large bowl. Cover in hot water so the water level is about 5 mm over the oats. Microwave 1-2 minutes in microwave - don't let it boil over. Take out and stir. Add milk.

trade4us2, Oct 8, 5:51pm
I just put rolled oats in a plate and pour boiling water over it.

otago147, Oct 8, 7:28pm
Don't forget the salt. Can't have porridge without salt.

lilyfield, Oct 9, 8:23am
3 min, in microwave

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 9, 3:52pm
And what if you do not have a microwave?

trade4us2, Oct 9, 10:19pm
put rolled oats in a plate and pour boiling water over it and wait 3 minutes

schnauzer11, Oct 9, 11:34pm
I'm still wondering why you would want to leave an appliance on for 10 hours to cook porridge?

gerry90, Oct 10, 11:59am
definitely! So tasteless without salt, also a small handful of sultanas is nice.

lilyfield, Oct 10, 12:04pm
Or three dates

melford, Oct 12, 10:32am
or cinnamon and peanut butter. That way you are getting protein so you wont get hungry all day

coolnzmum, Oct 12, 11:33am
Best to put it in another container, cover and sit in water in slow cooker. You may need to adjust the amount of oats to get your preferred consistency. It actually cooks far better this way then on stove top or in microwave as the oats have plenty of time to soften. For those who question why, because some people don't have time in mornings to cook but still like to start the day with porridge, getting up and having it ready is nice. Also if your family tend to get to breakfast at different times it's ready for the first one and still good for the last one. You can leave it on for ten hours but it actually doesn't need that long I used to use a timer so it started cooking about 2 am from memory.

arabelle, Oct 14, 8:21pm
Rest homes make their porridge in slow cookers, turn them on at 2am to be ready by 8am breakfast. I think they turned it down to low at 6am

sarahb5, Oct 14, 10:24pm
I soak my oats overnight in a covered saucepan then cook in the morning - takes 5 minutes. I add a knob of butter (salt and cream in one) and some vanilla essence. I’m only making it for myself though. I tried making it in the slow cooker when there was 4 of us but it was yuck on top - crusty and gross so I threw it out and made toast

coolnzmum, Oct 15, 9:15am
That is why it's best cooked in a covered bowl sitting in water in the slow cooker, prevents the crust forming.

caeli, Oct 15, 9:20am
This is how I cook it too. nothing beats waking up to the smell of apple & cinnamon porridge on a cold morning. I use my slow cooker on the "warm" setting, & pop it on before I head to bed.

speeedy1, Oct 15, 5:31pm
Man, that is tough, no muck-about dining, trade4us2. Impressive.
I soak my NZ made Harraways in a pot to soak overnight - I used to measure with a cup. Now its, pot on kitchen scales, 125gm of rolled oats, a pinch or two of salt, 700-750gms of water ( maybe 250gm milk + 500gms cold water). This takes only a couple of minutes.
Next morning, heat and stir until it thickens that the spoon stands unaided, add raisins then into a bowl, add milk and sometimes a few spoonfuls of tinned fruit.
If that too modern a process, as a nod to the ancestors I pour the extra (because there is always extra if I breakfast alone) into a drawer to cool for eating the next day or two.
Open the drawer and cut the required amount to eat in a bowl or as a snack. Lovely!

namtak, Oct 21, 11:47pm
Or cream and brown sugar.

sarahb5, Sep 18, 12:17pm
I put butter in mine - salt and cream combined