Oh, FFS!

sossie1, Aug 14, 5:52pm
Spent half an hour screwing kitchen cabinet doors back on after painting, (those adjustable hinges), to accidentally discover they just clip back on. At least the remaining nine doors will be a lot easier!

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 14, 6:11pm
Ahhh, the joys of a modern kitchen. Those handy things weren't invented when my cupboards were installed.

sossie1, Aug 14, 6:12pm
I accidentally pushed a little lever that took the top hinge off, FFS!

sossie1, Aug 14, 6:15pm
I mean honestly, who would throw out original rimu doors. My last place was the same era, they kept all the original doors and hinges and handles, built to last. This MDF shit they put in from the 80's is just bollocks.
However they do look really nice repainted in a nice glossy light blue, as opposed to "depressing green"

apollo11, Aug 14, 7:24pm
All men know this already.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 15, 8:35am
But they don't paint cupboards.

amasser, Aug 15, 10:11am
They know that the cupboards don't need painting.

apollo11, Aug 15, 10:14am
Replace the doors only-less hassle, better finish and not as expensive as replacing the whole kitchen. This crowd do a good job, order online:
https://uduit-diy.co.nz/

lovelurking, Aug 15, 1:14pm
Yep,! 🤣 and don’t bother to read the instructions, they are a waste of time.

sossie1, Aug 15, 1:33pm
mitre 10 had a sale on Valspar, i bought a scrubbable washable gloss paint, the colour is called Half Sail, basically a pretty baby blue. I'm having to do everything myself because of budget. I also used it around the oven as a cheap splashback, and the wall behind the main countertop.
The main countertop is pink striped formica from the 60's, but is badly damaged, so I am getting a reasonably cheap piece of jointed pine from Bunnings, and I'll probably just lay it over the top, and make it wider.
All the door handles are going to be replaced using vintage cutlery ( I used to make them for a craft shop)

apollo11, Aug 15, 1:42pm
What, men? Or instructions? Lol.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 2:14pm
I repainted one of those 70s hessian effect kitchens with simple white gloss many years ago - a definite improvement. My cupboards are blue, would rather half white, but I think painting the walls a lighter/brighter colour (probably double sea fog) and painting the woodwork white will be a huge improvement. If not there’s a car painter here who paints kitchens too.

sossie1, Aug 15, 2:24pm
It's a smaller galley style kitchen, the walls are now painted white, and all the other paintwork (apart from the doors and drawers), is gloss white. My last 2 houses had proper colour schemes, but I am on my own now, so basically I am just painting every wall white! I can fart around with colours in a few years.
You should see the friggin bathroom, peeling pink walls, beige shower cubicle with fake orange glass doors, beige low to the ground sink with white and fake gold taps (peeling), and fake marble shit on the sides of the shower.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 9:12pm
Gawd - sounds worse than mine was - mine was mostly dark “classic” villa colours in a 3 bedroom cottage - dark, gloomy and depressing. Will soon be double sea fog throughout, feature walls in bedrooms and white gloss woodwork.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 15, 9:30pm
Please tell my LL.

apollo11, Oct 8, 1:14am
He said OK. And your rent is going up.