Stick vacs

zoziesto, Jan 23, 6:18pm
Looking at getting a Dyson stick vacuum or something similar? Experiences with different models or brands? Big price tag so I don’t want to make a mistake. Extra points if you’ve had a long haired dog in the house you’re using it in!

sooby, Jan 23, 7:25pm
We got the Dyson v10 animal before Xmas and it is great, only have cats but seems to pick up their fur ok. Will do our 120m2 living, bed & bath areas on a single charge. Just! Would recommend the v11 with swappable batteries if you have a larger house or dogs. See if you can demo one from a retailer to see if it suits you. We still keep the corded vac just in case but hardly ever use it now.

korban, Jan 23, 7:37pm
We have the Dyson V11 absolute, like it but find it does not get into corners as well as my corded Miele. I use the Dyson most days and use the Miele when I really want to get into the corners.

I don’t have a dog, so no idea how they work on dog hair.

skinnny, Jan 24, 7:33am
I have a stick vacuum from warehouse $99.00. Highly recommended, great suction and picks up dog hair no trouble. Does the same job as a Dyson and a lot cheaper.

lythande1, Jan 24, 8:05am
I have found they last 5 minutes, batteries die and it's all over.
Easier just to get the plug in vacuum out.

korban, Jan 24, 8:20am
Our battery lasts for ages, never had it run out before finishing the vacuuming job I was doing.

wasgonna, Jan 24, 8:20am
Consumer found that no stick vacs were any good . . . including Dyson.

hazelnut2, Jan 24, 8:48am
Change the power setting!

hazelnut2, Jan 24, 8:55am
When you empty the bin check that the big air-intake hole into the filter section isn't blocked with fur. You can see this when the bin is open which is something I learned recently when emptying the dyson at the house I clean. The owner has this model and a dog. I have the V11, but no pets.

To get into the corners, I use the angled brush attachment on the end of the stick and vacuum the skirting boards at the same time.

Once the new moves are learned for this style vacuum cleaner, the cordless freedom is great!

hazelnut2, Jan 24, 8:59am
Somewhere I recently learned that the Dyson only really picks up dust when it is being pushed forward, so the backward pull is not efficient as the brush is being pulled against. Once I understood this, I changed my moves.

hazelnut2, Jan 24, 9:02am
Oh, another thing : The fit of the attachments is millimetre exact, so it doesn't take much dust clinging to them to make the changeover sticky. A regular brush clean of the fittings is thus necessary. And the filter might need very regular washing as well.

Still, cordless freedom is awesome!

mrfxit, Jan 24, 10:49am
Bagless vacuums in general, suffer badly from blocked filters
Cordless vacuums ALSO suffer badly from stuffed batterys.
I get a lot of those stick vacuums in my business & they are all stuffed.

Basically, they are just a cordless car vacuum stuck on a stick, which makes them work harder.

rednicnz, Jan 24, 12:28pm
Love mine (v6 slim) but the roller thing in the head gets tangled up with long hair (mine and daughter's) so I do have to attack it with scissors fairly often. Our also doesn't suck up the bigger things that I would normally vacuum up with the plug in one - think they don't get past the roller.

joanie32, Jan 25, 1:33pm
We have a Dyson v10

It’s honestly the best thing we have ever bought.

So easy to grab and run around the house that it gets used every day.

Plug in one is still better for cars, so it now lives in the car shed.

trackim, Jan 25, 5:50pm
Makita 18V is awesome

don735, Jan 29, 12:52am
rubbish quote,go away and re read your womens weekly, go on clear off stop posting out and out crap. sorry lady someone had to tell ya

ameliag1, Aug 20, 11:45am
We looked at a Dyson however Miele introduced stick vacuums last year so we got the Miele triflex. It can change to 3 different configurations, you don't need to hold a trigger down while vacuuming and the battery is replaceable. So happy with it, does an amazing job