Stairs

Page 1 / 2
rpvr, Oct 15, 3:23pm
My partner and I are retired, and live in a house with stairs. We are ok with the stairs at present, but need to think about the problem they may present as we get older. Also, the gap down the side (obviously there to allow for larger furniture items like beds to be taken upstairs) could present dangers if for example we became unsteady and put a foot over the edge. Have attached some photos, and just looking for comments on possibilities. A move to another house is probably the best answer, but we do like the area and have been established here for over 20 years.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1418404220.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1418404323.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1418404400.jpg

hound31, Oct 15, 5:08pm
Do you have a large bedroom and bathroom downstairs or are all the bedrooms upstairs? The reason I'm asking is depending on the design of the home some can live downstairs only as they get older depending on the configuration.
Personally, looking at the gap in those stairs gives me vertigo lol. It's obvious you couldn't install a chair lift on those.
Why don't you have a look at other properties? just dip your toe in the water, get a feel for what's out there ( I know it's not an ideal time with the shortage of homes) but it doesn't hurt to look. It would be a wrench to leave a familiar area, but you never know what's around the corner so to speak, could be a whole new adventure!

zak410, Oct 15, 5:16pm
Get a balustrade made; One that can be bolted to the stair's stringer, so could be removed for moving large furnitures.

stevo2, Oct 15, 5:55pm
Yep, that staircase is certainly not legal.
Actually I suggest moving to a single level home if you can find one you like, especially in the same area as you seem to like the location.
Even with a balustrade, the day will come when one of you cannot cope with the stairs any more.

rpvr, Oct 15, 6:24pm
Two large bedrooms upstairs, one with ensuite (toilet and shower) which we currently use. A small 3rd bedroom downstairs currently used as an office, and there is a bathroom with toilet downstairs. Yes, we are starting to have a look around at what is available.

androth2, Oct 15, 9:44pm
At my age I couldn't cope with the side with no rails and the high tread on the steps .You only need to slip coming down and you could be in big trouble

rpvr, Oct 16, 8:06am
Just wondering out of interest, what defines whether a staircase is 'legal' or not? There is a lot of development near us, and all of the new houses have stairs, there are virtually no single level houses being built. Yet often these places with stairs (I guess because they have tiny sections, so no yard maintenance to speak of) are being touted as suitable for retirees.

lythande1, Oct 16, 8:15am
Move.
You have no idea now but as a household of 4, 2 couldn't handle them at all, one has almost lost his sight. there are many things you don't expect.
2 have had falls already - one on a ramp! Imagine stairs!
If you waste money messing with them, you'll find it's still a problem eventually.

ebygum1, Oct 16, 8:20am
There is a standard that staircases must meet it sets out the maximum angle, tread and riser, and balustrade requirements, includind baluster spacings. I don't remember the standard number but it should not be hard to find.

amasser, Oct 16, 10:29am
Yes - Building Code is on-line.

tygertung, Oct 16, 11:19am
Those stairs look dodgy as, and I'm only 36!

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 16, 11:30am
What about one of those stair lifts? Might be cheaper than moving house.

budgel, Oct 16, 11:43am
Stair lifts dont turn corners, and that layout looks like it would have difficult access at each end for a stair lift.
My house has stairs with a similar layout, but has the balusters and handrail on the outside, not a handrail on the wall. Those stairs are steep!
A competent chippie should be able to make up and fit a handrail etc. The most difficult part will be anchoring the newel post at the bottom of the short run.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 16, 12:44pm
Well, they do if the supporting rail has the space to curve.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 16, 12:46pm

stevo2, Oct 16, 5:36pm
There is a complex set of rules regarding stair design ie max 180mm riser etc.
I think different councils have different ideas on handrails. Western Bay inspector told us that any commonly used set of stairs needed a handrail if there were more than 3 steps. Tga Council told us they were required if you could fall 1metre.

budgel, Oct 16, 6:32pm
Did you even look at the OP's photo's?

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 16, 9:09pm
Yes, but depths and heights can be hard to assess from a photo. Seemed to me a stair lift might be an option worth looking at, but I'm not the OP.

mazalinas, Oct 16, 9:36pm
Make the downstairs bedroom bigger and sleep there and rent out the top two bedrooms and when the world opens up again use the rent loot to have the time of your life holiday :-)

rpvr, Oct 17, 11:36am
The funny thing is, having lived with them for years, we don't really think much of them, it's just that we are aware of advancing age, and that they may become a problem. But I am somewhat surprised at the horrified reaction from some of the posters, i.e finding them a challenge at the age of 36! For those getting on a bit but still mobile, walking up and down stairs is one of the best forms of exercise. When out and about, we always use stairs rather than lifts or escalators, when there is the option.
It has been pointed out to me that in the UK, many people live their whole lives in terraced housing, which have stairs.
Currently we are taking our time looking at options

tygertung, Oct 17, 1:00pm
I wouldn't find them a challenge, but they could be a hazard if navigating at night time with no lights on? Also, the gap at the top looks a bit dodgy. Bolt on a balustrade and you'll be right forever. If you have a bolt on one, you can just unbolt it for furniture removals.

Also the current state is not good for small children.

rpvr, Oct 17, 2:43pm
Yeah, the balustrade suggestion would seem good for the interim. We do have a low wattage night light permanently in place near the base of the stairs.

mazalinas, Oct 17, 9:16pm
Get some cardboard boxes from PaknSave and have races sliding down the stairs!

jan2242, Oct 20, 3:52pm
Get rail made now. Mine were exactly like yours and Ii skipped an fell, Left me with permanently brain and physical injuries.

jhan, Oct 20, 4:24pm
Too many injuries from falling down stairs in this country, even the young ones do it. Even with a rail, there are going to be accidents, it's not worth it. Live downstairs or move.