Cantilevered car ports

lakeview3, Aug 9, 9:50am
Anyone installed one of these?

Which company did you use?

Have seen these ones

https://www.tradetested.co.nz/sheds-carports/carports/3m-x-6m/cantilever-carport-3-0m-x-5-5m.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIguij-q6M6wIV2Aa3AB022gR4EAEYASABEgLNVfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks in advance.

tweake, Aug 9, 10:19am
imho you need to make sure the posts are strong enough and well installed.
those look weak and one of the install pics on that site shows a horrid one (just bolted to the slab).
you would have to make sure the rust proofing is very good and installed in such a way to minimise water sitting around it (ie no dirt up against it and adequate drainage) otherwise it may not take long until the base rusts and you end up with it blowing away in the wind.

cantilevers put a massive strain on the posts. its basically an unstable design.
the twin car port pic is better because you can they can be used to support each other a bit.

amasser, Aug 9, 10:56am
Would compare with other makers.

budgel, Aug 9, 10:56am
I wonder about the point of them unless they are large. A small one like the first illustration allows all but directly overhead sun to shine on the car, and here in NZ most rain comes in at an angle, so the car will get wet too.

The concerns about anchoring the posts seems valid too, a lot of the strength required is to hold roofs down!

lakeview3, Aug 9, 10:57am
yes all good points thanks. Not a high wind area but I hear you about the sturdiness. We are just playing around with a few ideas and I liked the idea of not attaching it to the house.

The reviews were interesting I thought.

lakeview3, Aug 9, 10:58am
do you have any suggestions of other companies? Thanks

lakeview3, Aug 9, 10:59am
more just to prevent the direct sunlight and protect a little from rain and frost.

lakeview3, Aug 9, 11:38am
I should say prevent UV damage rather than light.

mrploppy, Aug 9, 11:56am
My daughter has one of these installed over her outside barbecue area. Works great!

krames, Aug 9, 11:57am
wind uplift, must be a well engineered design for that much c/l and huge post embedment required

tweake, Aug 9, 12:46pm
just had a look through again.
i missed its aluminium pole.
looking at the reviews it seams to be quite a few people doing very shallow footings. the poles are 3m long and they recommend 600mm depth, but some look to have 2.8m sticking out of the ground.
i would be putting 800-1000mm into the ground giving a 2.2- 2m height which is same as many garages.
the lower down it is the less leverage it puts on the poles.

i see a few attached it to the house which i think is a good idea.

lakeview3, Aug 9, 3:32pm
good points, agreed, the deeper the posts the stronger the structure.

tony9, Aug 9, 4:00pm
I see no indication of a certificate of compliance, required to confirm compliance with the Building Act. While a building consent is likely not required, it still has to comply with the building act.

strathview, Aug 9, 5:42pm
Absolutely terrible in wind. If you install one it must be in a well sheltered area.

krames, Oct 8, 10:05pm
prob got engineered design with ps1 and ps 3