Shrub ID please

morticia, Jan 10, 9:31pm
Can someone ID this please?

In the photos is an old Shrub, fairly open growth habit, about 2.5-3 metres tall at maturity maybe 3.5 wide. Quite self contained, not rampant when left to its own devices.

Quite prolific 5 petal yellow flowers, about 3 or 4cm maybe in diameter, more yellow than these appear when newly opened and not at the tail end of the flowering season like these but not bright, bright yellow.

No smell to either the flowers or the leaves. Soft wood. Very attractive when in fiull bloom.

Has small round sead heads that become a hard segmented shell with pips in it over an extended time i.e. last season or early season seed heads that have dried out.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1466645827.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1466645234.jpg

I'd quite like one if it's not a pest, and wonder what it is and will it grow from cuttings? I have some bits in a jar, just in case. Also have current immature pods with small dark drying seeds in them, and an old hard pod and seeds. The specimen in the photos is growing in an area that is quite low, wet and somewhat swampy in winter, so it doesn't mind wet feet.

thanks

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 10, 9:40pm
Reminds me of a yellow flowered dogwood I had a long time ago.

jono450, Jan 10, 9:57pm
Choisya ternata

woody89, Jan 10, 10:02pm
Looks like my tree, which also grows in a low, wettish area. I think its a Dogwood, Cornus something or other but in my mindI think of it as Himalayan strawberry tree. Not sure if I'm correct!

lakeview3, Jan 10, 10:20pm

morticia, Jan 10, 10:25pm
Similar but the petals are more round and like a lobe than the images online for Choisya ternata and they are single to a stem, not in clusters. THe leaf comes to a very specific point at each end, rather than being rounded at one end like the Choisya ternata image has. It's veined, soft and not glossy or shiny or fleshy.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1466673939.jpg

morticia, Jan 10, 10:28pm
Yeah that's it, I thought it had 5 petals not four but that's the one.

Shame it's a pest, I would have liked it but not spread into the council reserve next door. Where the one on my pic is grows all by iteslf, has none around it, the whole area is untended and never saw any in the paddocks and scrubland beside the road driving in, plenty of blackberry and other pest weeds. One would think it would be everywhere in a such a neglected, weed ridden area in the middle of nowhere if it was that big a pest.

Thanks all.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 11, 8:07am
I love it when I'm right. And first.

morticia, Jan 11, 10:02am
I know you do lol

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 11, 12:20pm
Lol, it is happening less often these days! I seem to have developed a talent for stuffing up!

Tg for a sense of humour, eh?

harrislucinda, Jan 11, 1:20pm
we have a tree here but has more yellow or cream flowers birds love the fruit Yes i would agree its a dogwood There are plants and trees the always say pests and yet can buy from nurseries

woody89, Jan 11, 10:22pm
I'm baffled by it being a pest too. My two are in an untended area & there are no young ones anywhere. They have flowered & fruited for years & aren't particularly large themselves. I don't plan on removing them.

morticia, Jan 12, 12:09am
It's such a pest I've never seen one before, that I can recall, and if I wasn't out in the hills above Rotorua in the middle of nowhere with one next to the ute I was sitting in I still wouldn't have. Much as I like it, I will err on the side of caution and not introduce it, even though it's a wee bit tempting. It's a very attractive shrub.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 25, 9:50pm
Sometimes local councils rely on ill informed opinions in declaring plants pests. And sometimes those very councils are the ones who created the pests in the first place by using inappropriate plantings in inappropriate places. Or just seeing native as good, exotic as bad.

Dogwoods are lovely things. The more we have the better.