Removing cat pee from back seat of vehicle.

clementine4, Jul 24, 6:54pm
I am desperate for a tried and true remedy to remove the urine and the smell of cat pee from the back seat of the car. Have tried spraying vinegar and water mix and then used foam car interior shampoo. Still smells bad and the stink is in the foam. Hoping someone with DIY experience on this thread can help. Greatly appreciated. TIA.

marte, Jul 24, 7:07pm
You need to use a chemical that will break down the cat per smelling chemicals.
Some sort of Benzalkonium chloride, or 'Quat', or a spray developed just for this job. But you will need one without Sodium hydroxide or caustic stuff in it.
So probably not 'wet n forget' or 'spray n wipe'

A cleaning chemical company will have it, also a Vet clinic. Trademe will have something too.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 24, 7:07pm
Repeat. It took me about a month of regular weekly white vinegar sprays to neutralise the cat stink from a set of concrete stairs, I suspect upholstery might be even more of a challenge.

jdeere8130, Jul 24, 7:50pm
"Odarid" was recommended to us by the JAE carpet cleaning guy so we bought some and it is absolutely brilliant. You just spray it on liberally and that's it, once dry the smell has gone.
https://www.odarid.co.nz/

tonijo, Jul 24, 8:35pm
^^^This^^^

whynot47, Jul 24, 9:23pm
take out the back seat and scrub it with detergent and hot water and then hose it off with pressure. then do it again several times until all cat pee is gone. then scrub it again with nice smelling soap like KINDNESS OR WOOLWASH and then hose it all off again .then lean it up on a wall outside in the sun back of the seat down and a few days later when it is dry put it back in the car. you cant mask cat pee you need to remove it because it will stink every time it gets hot on a sunny day

clementine4, Jul 24, 9:52pm
Thank you for the great suggestions. My concern is getting all the original pee out as well as the smell. Worried if I put something on the back seat like a computer bag then bring the object inside my cat will smell the offenders pee and then pee inside. I like cats but their pee in the wrong place is such a hassle. Grrrrr

clementine4, Jul 24, 9:55pm
Yes. You are correct about the smell on a sunny day! Not the ideal weather at present for it to dry in the sun. Will definitely consider your suggestion though. Thank you.

oh_hunnihunni, Jul 25, 10:59am
Try inside a motorbike helmet.

An expensive one.

starseeker, Jul 25, 4:40pm
The vets used to have a spray called "Piss-off" (Yes, Truly! They did!)
Hospitals used the more refined "Urine-off"

lovelurking, Jul 26, 7:48am
Only way we got rid of it was using Turners Auctions 🤢🤮

wasgonna, Jul 26, 8:58am

tweake, Jul 26, 3:38pm
i had it on the front seat.
take seat out, hose it out. fill the foam, rinse repeat.
the biggest problem is that its soaked into the foam and that takes ages to wash out.

megan109, Oct 11, 6:02pm
Hot soapy water and elbow grease. Gosh did the cat get into the car? Had a stray cat piss on our porch so just washed it down with hot water