Any tradesmen painters out there?

wheelz, Dec 26, 6:39am
We plan on fixing up our badly flaking exterior window surrounds. Scraping back to wood. Was sold waterbased Dulux 1 Step primer/ sealer and undercoat. My brother( he's a builder ) told us we should have got oil based 1 step instead. Your opinions please.

deanatt, Dec 26, 9:33am
in our experience the water based primer is rubbish compared to oil based. the oil based stuff actually sticks to the wood whereas the water based primer flakes or bubbles off.we stripped the water based off and redid it with oil, would never bother with water based again.

wheelz, Dec 26, 9:42am
What paint was under the water based paint! Oil based!

ben-sophie, Dec 30, 1:11am
Painters used oil based paint etc on outside of my wooden windows.The
results are great. I used Dulux primer on inside.never again!I also used their paint.as a top coat.never again!I had to strip the work and start again.This time I have used oil based paint and although it is smellier and takes longer to dry the results cant begin to be compared.
I have used Resenes water based paints and that is a much better paint than Dulux.

trouty63, Dec 30, 1:43am
Agree - would never use water based outside or on door frames / windowsills ever again!
Definitely get rid of ALL the old paint and start fresh.

payntr, Dec 30, 1:54am
apply oil based primer,allow 24 hrs 2 dry,sandown with 150 grit sandpaper,apply 1 coat oil based undercoat,allow 24hrs to dry,sand down 220 grit sandpaper ,then finish with 1 coat high gloss enamel/oil based.if you want to use acrylic enamel,after priming,apply 2 coats lustracyl for a semi-gloss finish or enamacryl for a gloss finish.allow 8hrs between coats.the waterbourne enamels are more UV resistant than traditional enamels.hope this helps.ps the bill's in the mail,lol

tillsbury, Dec 30, 5:11am
Water based primer works well on softwoods like pine and cedar.If you're repainting the outside of your old windows they are more likely to be something a bit tougher, often Totara.For this, you should be using oil-based primers.This is why some people swear by water-based primers and some swear at them -- they are only good for some substrates.

payntr, Dec 30, 6:46am
acrylic primers do not seal out cedar,these are native timbers therefore have a certain amount of oil in them.

tillsbury, Dec 30, 7:46am
Cedar native!Sorry, I meant true cedars such as those from Canada rather than the kawaka and other trees that are sometimes referred to as NZ cedars (which are actually cypresses).A very old door of Western Red Cedar is probably dry enough to allow a water-based primer to soak in well, although brand new cedar might not be.Totara and Matai are the two "trouble" NZ native timbers that contain lots of oil and are much harder to prime.