Front Loader Recommendations

Page 1 / 2
molly37, Apr 16, 5:34pm
Along with new kitchen appliances which thankfully we have made a decision on I'm now undecided on a front loader. Never had one before. I've researched so many I'm confused. I want one that has hot,cold input ideally, fast wash, quiet, not fussed about adding clothes once started. Had considered a Miele but at over $3k was a little put off, and reviews are mixed. Do you have one? Thoughts?

amasser, Apr 16, 5:39pm
Consider buying Consumer's report on those. Not much in the cost of a machine and you save on water, powder and damage to clothes.

lythande1, Apr 16, 5:53pm
Bosch. Not as expensive but top of the line.
Has a quick wash too.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 6:11pm
Having used both, go for a top loader.

toyboy3, Apr 16, 6:24pm
Since you are in Auckland and pay water rates, unless the hot water cylinder is close to the machine it is easy to have the machine heat the water as needed
Front loader uses less water therefore use less detergent and not as hard on the clothes

molly37, Apr 16, 8:13pm
I have signed up for one year as we had to replace all our appliances. They say LG, Samsung and Miele . Just wanted some more personal opinions.

molly37, Apr 16, 8:14pm
On tank water so no water rates for us.

molly37, Apr 16, 8:17pm
EEk, no choice now as we have planned our new laundry around one. Also we are on tank water and I believe they are more efficient on water use. I will miss my faithful top loaders, i've personally never had an issue with trusty Fisher and Paykell, my first one lasted 20 years! Had 3 in 35 news and only got the 3rd simply as I wanted a bigger one.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 16, 8:29pm
Just make sure the installation includes removing the transit bolts.

murrayb, Apr 16, 9:54pm
Had a Miele for about 18 months now, best machine we have ever had

gunhand, Apr 16, 10:06pm
Is it going on a concrete floor? If not you will love it traveling around your laundry.

k.mac, Apr 16, 10:25pm
We did our kitchen and laundry a year ago. We went from a top loader to a front loader, Bosch, with a dryer on top. We rarely use a dryer but its good for the occasional days when you cant put clothes outside due to rain. we bought a series 6 for both machines, the newest versions were series 8 at the time. Has lots of choices of programmes and a quick wash. The laundry is near the hot water cyclinder and my ownly regret is when the machine is filling its noisy and possibly we should have put some insulation in the laundry wall. However the machine when washing is quiet. hope that helps !

pleco, Apr 17, 6:05am
Bought a Samsung a few months ago and I am really happy with it. It is really quiet and has a 15 min fast wash.

toyboy3, Apr 17, 10:20am
Strange comment , my front loader has been up on a bench so I don’t have bend to load and unload and it hasn’t tried to walk off it for 15 years

wine-o-clock, Apr 17, 11:46am
for some brands, say goodbye to fluffy towels. unless you have a drier to fluff them up

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 17, 12:05pm
That happens when the transit bolts aren't removed before operation.

gunhand, Apr 17, 2:38pm
They were removed, it was leveled out etc etc but still moved around. Wooden floor. I resorted to putting a slab of heavy metal on it that helped. I got a feeling it even said somewhere they should be on solid ground, something they don't ask or mention when buying. Nothing wrong with the machine, worked fine.

gunhand, Apr 17, 2:40pm
Not a strange comment, a factual one from experience with them. Im very happy yours is doing what it should.

daisy86, Apr 17, 4:24pm
We bought a Fisher & Paykel Fabric Smart a few years back after consultation with Consumer magazine. It does have a fast wash option but I usually use the 59 minute cycle. You can get so much more into it than a top loader so while it might take an hour to do the wash you've probably done the equivalent of 1.5 to 2 loads in that time.

joanie32, Apr 17, 9:11pm
Electrolux

By far the best machine I’ve ever owned

And we will replace every electrical item we own with Electrolux as required.

kay34, Apr 17, 9:55pm
Bosch! We purchased ours Nov 2013, and never had any issues with it,and it has worked hard,lol!

sooperdoopa, Apr 17, 10:11pm
I was thinking the same. I've a new Samsung washer on a wooden floor with only 5mm gap either side of the unit. It hasn't moved in 6 months - used every day.

sooperdoopa, Apr 17, 10:14pm
Probably not leveled properly. Its not normal to have it dancing around your floor. Get a man in to fix it.

gunhand, Apr 17, 10:44pm
It was leveled as I mentioned. And if you do a bit of a search you will see it is indeed an issue and very much depends on type of floor. Some floors may have wood but be quite solid under that wood. Ours happens to be wood floor floor joists and then a large gap to the ground.
We got rid of it and replaced with top loader. person we sold it too has it on concrete floor and no worries.

joanie04, Apr 18, 2:54pm
I have an LG front loader. It was not one of the models that Consumer had previewed at the time. This is only the 4th machine I have ever owned (I am officially old, counting down to the pension). The other three were top loaders. I will never go back to a top loader. Even though I have to bend to load and unload I am happy to do that. The other thing about this machine you have the option to use your own hot water or have it heat the water.