Marley classic spouting brackets

Page 1 / 2
toyboy3, Feb 7, 2:03pm
Are they the same as storm cloud ? Also what is the best way to secure is it possible to screw the brackets to the building?

apollo11, Feb 7, 2:21pm
Yes, same bracket. I use stainless steel screws to secure to fascia.

nzmax, Feb 7, 2:23pm
The classic and stormcloud brackets are slightly different, and not interchangeable as far as I know. From memory they either have a slightly different angle at the end, and/or one is slightly shorter than the other. They can be screwed, and from memory, even have a countersink recess for the countersink screw head to sit into.

apollo11, Feb 7, 2:29pm
Interesting. When I bought a houselot several years ago, they were advertised as being suitable for both. There is no countersink on mine, I used dome head square drive screws.
Edit: I've used the same bracket for the stormcloud on my old shed and there was no issue.

toyboy3, Feb 7, 5:21pm
Just had shower of rain and the garage I am to collect the water from I noticed not a drop went down the drain pipe to the tank it all spilled over at the other end so I unclipped the classic spouting and noticed the brackets are held with clouts and half of them are half fallen out the ones that were there so was wondering if screws would be the go if I can save the brackets removing some clouts that are driven home

apollo11, Feb 7, 5:49pm
Also check your bracket spacing, they might have too much load on them. I've done the house guttering at 600 centers, as the brackets are cheap and the wind here is pretty fierce sometimes.

nzshooter01, Feb 7, 6:17pm
its been a while since i used it but arnt they at 450 centres anyway?.
You could buy and install colour steel gutter and it would be no dearer, maybe even cheaper than plastic rubbish

toyboy3, Feb 7, 6:50pm
I am a the beach so I guess the steel wouldn’t last , I have just been carefully prying the plastic brackets off and was hoping to reuse them , this time I will use the holes at the top instead of the two lower holes only , it might work better

apollo11, Feb 7, 7:05pm
I can't remember what the spacing is supposed to be, but I've seen them at 1500 centers , which works until you get a blockage and the weight of the water folds the guttering over.

trade4us2, Feb 7, 8:24pm
Definitely don't use clouts. It's easier to screw on stainless steel square drive screws, and easier to remove them later if necessary.

nzmax, Feb 7, 9:08pm
Been a few years since I put some up, but from memory, was told they had to be profile specific. The countersink may have been made by me. had to shift a couple lol.

nzshooter01, Feb 7, 9:14pm
Clouts are what they supplied with the brackets back in the day, 30 or more yrs ago, yes we have moved on to screws nowdays,

nzshooter01, Feb 7, 9:16pm
There is a better grade of colour steel made for areas close to the coast, zrx from memory
Or should i say better paint system

trade4us2, Feb 7, 9:17pm
I still have the spouting that I bought 30 years ago and have not put all of it up yet. I have got used to the rain falling on the roof below.

stevo2, Feb 7, 9:23pm
I havent put it up for many years. The brackets "were" different but when Marley bought out the manufacturers of Stormcloud, they produced the bracket that would do both. I think spacings were 800 to 900mm from memory.

mrgts4, Feb 7, 10:15pm
Brackets are slightly different, they have ms2 or mc2 cast into them. I use 30mm ss square drive screws to fix them at 500mm centers

pauldw, Feb 8, 3:32am
Bracket nails never clouts. 30 years ago for diyers Marley insisted on nails or no warranty. Maybe too many drove the screws in too far.

skull, Feb 8, 7:27am
About 30 years ago I did ours at 500mm bracket spacing with clouts. It was a prick of a job because the barge boards were very bouncy. Found it easier to drill pilot holes for the clouts. Those were the days when I was poor and stainless steel screws were bloody expensive. I certainly would not use clouts today.

martin11, Feb 8, 7:55am
The proper Marley nails have a spiral shank and hold well ,ordinary clouts are a waste of time to use .
Mark and secure brackets no more than 500mm apart. In high wind or snow prone areas reduce spacing to 300mm. Use a minimum of 3 nails or 3 stainless steel screws per bracket.

toyboy3, Feb 8, 9:03am
What size screws should I look for?

trade4us2, Feb 8, 10:15am
That depends on the thickness of timber. Mine is 20mm, so I would use 40mm screws. Last time I bought SS screws, Bunnings screws were about half the price of Mitre10 screws.
I use 75mm screws to hold my weatherboards on. It is wonderful to be able to take off a weatherboard to fix plumbing or wiring or insulation.

amasser, Feb 8, 10:46am
Profiles are different. Definitely use screws and in the top holes, if not all.

stevo2, Feb 8, 11:21am
8x25mm S/S csk sq drive

nzshooter01, Feb 8, 2:42pm
Just looking at mitre 10 website, 5.0mtr lenggh of marley $62.0,
Brackets $2.40 each,brackets at 450cc equals 12 per 5mtr length,
Equals $26 for brkts plus $62 for gutter $88 for 5mtrs,
Thats not cheap, buy colour steel and you will never have to replace it, the marley will look like crap in 10 yrs

toyboy3, Feb 8, 3:44pm
This is the other side that needs to be fixed
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/1484087139.jpg
Just been to hammer hardware $21 for 200 screws
And I will be staying with plastic as I have all the parts that came off the building to go back on as I’m too mean to throw the plastic away and pay tip fees , just needed a couple more brackets