HANGING BASKETS - KEEPING MOIST

trele, Oct 6, 10:47am
With the water/hosing restrictions applying in Auckland and the potential for a dry summer I wondered if I could improve the water retention in hanging baskets lined with coconut matting without using drip bottles.

I am experimenting with placing a couple of dishwashing sponges in the bottom of each basket before loading the potting mix. Hopefully this will both slow the run through (and waste) of water and also retain a considerable quantity in the sponges to slowly leak out into the surrounding potting mix.

Has anyone else tried this and, if so, what were the results? Alternatively has anyone had success with another method?

Hopefully it is also a good way of recycling old sponges.

melford, Oct 6, 10:51am
You can buy water retention cyrstals

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 6, 11:23am
Yes, I have, I also place them in a saucer to serve as a water well and bury the lot. End of season tipping out reveals plant roots concentrate in the sponges.

So, it works.

As does making your own mix incorporating sphag, coco fibre, charcoal pellets and commercial potting mix. Better water retention.

smallwoods, Oct 6, 3:09pm
Old saw dust will retain water as well.

kowhai60, Oct 13, 7:58pm
I place an old ceramic saucer or bread & butter plate (side plate?) in the base of the hanging basket, then fill up with soil, water crystals as usual. Try putting your sponge on top of the plate.

highclouds, Oct 14, 10:57pm
Best way to reduce watering is in the choice of plants , as a landscape/ gardening enterprise we have established vertical gardens/ hanging baskets with water conservation in mind and found plant selection a big factor .Another factor to consider is placement in relationship to the sun and drying effects of the prevailing wind

kateley, Oct 14, 10:59pm
When I worked at a garden center, the woman who made up the hanging baskets for sale would line the cocofibre with plastic and poke holes in the plastic so it still had drainage but it was much slower than the cocofibre on it's own.

coralsnake, Oct 15, 12:23am
Used to use plastic shopping bags - sit in container, fill with soil then cut off excess and poke holes through bottom. Done this for years. Can substitute other plastic bags now.

brightlights60, Oct 15, 1:43pm
Any kind of containers, whether its hanging or pots on the deck, require some water rentention products or daily watering to keep moist. Totally dependant on what you put in your pot (your growing medium) to grow your plants in. The coconut fibre is great. I was buying mine direct from a supplier here in Christchurch at about $8 a brick, its a little different from the one you get at the Warehouse

thewarehouse.co.nz/p/kiwi-gard-
en-coir-mulch-block-25l/R26691-
39.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl-
=1268368&ds_rl=1268368&-
;gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcc-
kC_DAJ_ktocdZIPkTeyyoTeaLspxJt-
hV_FKqCdVSUFMW9fPC0-ZNdCRoC0nc-
QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
but does the same job. Line the pots with that and also, a few stones in the bottom for good drainage. My pots usually do okay, but I always worry when we go away camping. You can also get the spikes
https://www.gubba.co.nz/drip-feed-bottle-watering-system-4-pack/?gclid=CjwKCAjww5r8BRB6EiwArcckC22cAnFXQc0afH2znnmurflifPC9VklkqpyuZwMpewJsI9fSS_5dJxoCB5IQAvD_BwE
which is a cheap way to drip feed either hanging or potted outdoor plants. The crystals are great and when you re-pot your plant pots or baskets the next year you will find them preserved and can use them again.

jbsouthland, Oct 22, 4:33pm
I also place a plastic saucer in the bottom of fibre lined hanging baskets .Without I find watering both difficult and wasteful , with alot of waste runoff . so place a bucket below to catch excess .
I have made ‘ muffin tray ice cubes ‘ to place on soil surface for drip watering . works better than pouring water .
Crazy but works . lol

lovelurking, Oct 23, 10:29am
Thanks for the idea of the big ice blocks for slow watering, I was told recently to water my fussy orchid with an ice cube once a week but I hadn’t connected the dots for my pots.
I’m off to freeze some big blocks right now 👍🏻

(I’m sure there will be lots of Aucklanders needing to conserve water who could do this and sneak ice blocks onto their plants under the cover of darkness 🌑🥀)

anglia, Oct 26, 9:58am
“Cut up old sponges and put them in the bottom of the container. The sponges retain moisture and create necessary air space. They also help prevent water from flushing out the bottom. The sponge acts as a water reserve and keep soil moist longer and prevents root rot which is a common problem due to over-watering.”
** I’m about to try this, with my hanging baskets. I don’t know if it works but I’ve seen it recommended on gardening YouTube channels **

argentum47, Oct 28, 7:32pm
Water cristals, 500g cost about $ 22 at Bunnings that stuff works ! Looks like course white sugar , and absorbs 300-500 times as much water, I use it in my garden, and even under the the new lawn so you don’t need to water it as often anymore

macandrosie, Sep 13, 1:51pm
I actually sat a decent size piece of florists oasis in the base after fully soaking it, then topped up with potting mix, planting plants then another thorough soak. I live in Southland however I am not great at watering my pots etc. I think it does help!