Paving Sand?

lyl_guy, Sep 3, 12:45pm
Does anyone have any tips or tricks when it comes to a paving sand/ or what I can mix in it to avoid the weeds/ moss build-up (well, not avoid, but mitigate?)?
Have metres of the damn stuff (paving - old) and am tired of the annual scrape and hack which is very short-lived anyway. I've just scrape it to within an inch of it's life, so now have to replace sand. Any ideas?

zak410, Sep 3, 12:57pm

lyl_guy, Sep 3, 1:04pm
Thanks, I didn't know where to start looking - so that looks a bit like this from bunnings.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/cemix-20kg-joint-sand_p0214055
Might have to give it a go!

fast4motion, Sep 3, 1:46pm
I don't think that's the correct stuff. Looks like it's just a fine sand for filling joints.
Do a search for Pavelock, which is similar but forms more of a flexible grout/cement consistency. Although I've only ever used it on joints shortly after paving has been laid, so I don't know how well it would work on old paving where the gaps are shallow because they're already full of dirt or sand.

terri01, Sep 3, 2:21pm
I just went down to the beach and got buckets of sand and swept it into the cracks between the pavers, worked ok

grandad-doug, Sep 3, 2:51pm
terri01 I as good as anything, the salt content will help prevent weeds

koru67, Sep 3, 3:18pm
I have used the pavelock and it works well. Also used it on old concrete imprinted to look like cobbles and it made a huge difference.

lyl_guy, Sep 3, 3:20pm
Hmmm. thanks. maybe like this.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/cemix-20kg-pavetight-sand_p0214050
And now that salt's mentioned, have tried that in the past and not sure if it made much difference - I probably need to weed/ scrape more often though.
Just to add. I've given them a really decent scrape-out so most of the gaps are pretty deep.

lyl_guy, Sep 3, 4:00pm

sossie1, Oct 2, 5:03pm
it's not completely illegal, contact your local council to see if it is allowed, and then get permission. Gisborne allows it at a certain area, with prior approval