Rhubarb

quiz3, Jul 15, 4:55pm
Yep horse poop, great.

kam04, Jul 16, 10:08am
me too !

kam04, Jul 16, 10:11am
Dry or wet. They would be nice and crunchy dry

morticia, Jul 16, 11:53am
Encourage vertical growth by putting a 10litre paint bucket with the bum cut out around the plant. Once upon a time people used a tall crockery rhubarb pot specifically made to do the job, but even a short bucket will help.

arabelle, Jul 28, 12:54pm
Semi shade close to a tree etc helps stretch the stalks, plus lots of horse/sheep/donkey doo planted prior to the 3 yr re digging and splitting I also put the fruit tree fertiliser on this past season and it made very sweet stalks and a lovely red

macandrosie, Aug 1, 9:58am
You can now buy worm vermicast at Mitre 10 stores (well you can in Southland & Otago!) Sprinkle a few handfuls around the base of the plant & gently hoe in. They say they are gross feeders

hound31, Aug 1, 7:57pm
I've been feeding mine with liquid fertiliser as I don't want the dogs eating the dry stuff, I thought even if I dug it in they'd still find it.
That plan worked well. I found the greedy terrier drinking a wee puddle of fertiliser I'd inadvertently left on a leaf lol

mazalinas, Aug 1, 8:51pm
The wetas are stunting it's growth. Be careful - they hide under the leaves. OoooooooooooooOOOOOOOoooooo

sheriff5, Jul 1, 6:05am
Hi all, can anyone tell me why my rhubarb plant is all massive big leaves and really short stalks, the plant is only 2 years old. Cheers.

lythande1, Jul 1, 8:21am
Too much nitrogen in soil, not enough everything else.

articferrit, Jul 1, 9:33am
Rhubarb needs lots of fertiliser, and its only its second year. Feed it, thats where the old saying about burying a dead possum under the new plant comes from.

sheriff5, Jul 4, 8:57am
hey thanks guys, will try your suggestions.

mamad, Jul 10, 7:58pm
Dad used to put sheep pellets around his and it used to grow really well.

grandad-doug, Jul 11, 2:55pm
my dad used to put corigated cardboard around stalks to force them to grow, he always had long red stalks, also do same with celery and your stalks will be white and not a bitter green

wine-o-clock, Jul 11, 2:58pm
i put coffee grounds around mine

lilyfield, Oct 10, 11:09am
Horse poop,thick layer in the winter