Renovating/redecorating: where to start

mizpizzy, Mar 20, 6:25pm
The basic structure is sound.
What do I do first: Bathroom, kitchen, flooring, walls-paint/paper.

lythande1, Mar 20, 6:34pm
Up to you. Depends what you intend. Ripping out walls? Removing wall linings? new kitchen, bathroom or just paint and paper type stuff?
Start with the hardest, messiest and most time consuming and end with the short, pleasant fluffing about bits.

catbrat, Mar 20, 6:53pm
notify your insurance company and check with council yo see if you need any consents erc I knpw from experience these things can come back and bite you maybe not now but in the future

catbrat, Mar 20, 6:54pm
do floors last

vomo2, Mar 20, 7:12pm
I would do the kitchen up first. Check out Cabjaks for excellent affordable kitchen cabinets.

sunnysue1, Mar 21, 11:19am
I think the problem is. when do you stop?

shanreagh, Mar 21, 12:25pm
Well I've got different take. as we hadn't got much experience and our whole house needing doing we decided to start with an easier reno just to get our hand in. So we started in the bedroom and did that first. It did not need new wall linings so we painted, papered and got new curtains for that room. It did need more plugs but we did those at the time we rewired the whole house. We found this worked as we always had somewhere tidy and new to retreat from the mess.

tweake, Mar 21, 12:37pm
thats a really good move.

tweake, Mar 21, 12:38pm
keep in mind you may end up uncovering some horrors. never assume the basic structure is sound.

dibble35, Aug 9, 9:52am
If my sisters kitchen reno is anything to go by id advice doing this over summer when it is pleasant to cook outdoors or as she did in the garage.