We are getting quotes for stipple removing and

vintage_betty, Aug 6, 6:46am
ceiling repainting. Tradespeople are reluctant to quote us a total as it is hard to know how long it will take and how easy it will be to remove. they just give me an hourly rate. I totally get that, it is hard to know and I don't blame them at all for that. I am still a bit nervous though!
Has anyone had theirs done recently and how much did it cost? Thanks

P.s it has no asbestos before anyone mentions it :-)
P.p.s I don't think it will be *too* bad coming off as we did try a little bit with hot water and it came off relatively easy.

budgel, Aug 6, 10:25am
Ask the tradespeople for a ballpark figure on the range of how long it takes, so you can set a budget. They must know how quickly an easy job goes vs one that is difficult.
If that fails, do it yourself.

oh_hunnihunni, Aug 6, 10:31am
I found doing it yourself is easy. Messy but easy. I used a flat broad bladed paint scraper, with a warm water spray bottle for the crispier bits, lol.

bottynoodle, Aug 6, 11:38am
Hasn’t stipple ceilings got asbestos in them?

shanreagh, Aug 6, 1:03pm
OP has already confirmed that it has not.

barbiedoll, Aug 6, 1:34pm
Contact Stripes. They did mine at Christmas. No asbestos here either. I don't know how much it cost because I had the walls skimmed and painted as well. The ceilings look great.

amasser, Aug 6, 3:31pm
Are those trades-people experienced? if so, why can they not give you a number?

trade4us2, Aug 6, 4:44pm
A renovator tool with a wide blade might do a good job.

stevo2, Aug 6, 5:54pm
Because no one knows for sure how long it will take. If I quoted $2000 and it takes 40 man hours, I get $50/hour. If it takes 20 man hours, I earn $100/hour. If it has the possibility of being nasty, I will quote $3000 to cover myself but then if it isnt difficult after all and only takes 20 hours, I have just earned $150/hour.
That would be unfair to the client but a quote is a quote.
Fairest for all is an agreed hourly rate and a best guess on how long it will take

vintage_betty, Aug 6, 5:55pm
Thanks everyone. No asbestos as that was one of the first things we checked before buying house.
We can't do it ourselves - my husband works 60 hour weeks and just doesn't have the time and although I only work part time my health is not the best.
But all good, I am sure we can find someone who can actually give us a quote.
I just want it done - it is going to modernise the house so much.

dinx, Aug 6, 7:34pm
Unlikely to give you a job cost because some comes off easy but sometimes it does not and takes much longer, we have it too, also not asbestos. Its hard work, working above your head.

Keep in mind it was partially popular by tradies in houses (ours is very late 80s as it was great at covering sins and workmanship. The ceilings may not be perfectly flat or even and they might not be the flat you hope for once its removed. We've only done a couple of the small rooms (I was in the bathroom, laundry too) but I'm not sure how good it will be when we do the bigger rooms ourselves. The bigger the ceiling, the more any undulations or uneveness in the ceiling will show up. I've kept in mind if its awful that re-gib some rooms as easier to get an even finish if smooth plaster cant get a nice finish.

blueviking, Aug 6, 8:37pm
It also depends on whether the room is clear and can be shut off , so no dust enters the rest of the house.An hourly rate can be cheaper in the long run as long as they don't muck around.When I used to quote on these sorts of job, I used to give the client a top end figure and if it came under that, I'd just charge my hourly rate.Also, it also depends on whether the ceiling was taped and plastered before it was stippled. If not , then they have to tape all the joins, so they don't crack.

anne1955, Aug 6, 8:41pm
How does one know if it has asbestos or not please? I have moved into a rental that was once a motel, and all units have it ceilings and walls. As these now are all privately own and some rented, can a tenant find out about this and also about Fire Walls between units? Starting to worry me these things Thanks Anne

apollo11, Aug 6, 9:07pm

vintage_betty, Aug 6, 9:20pm
We got tests for meth and asbestos before we bought and the meth test was was $240 and the asbestos was $150. I certainly wouldn't want to pay that as a tenant. Can you mention your concerns to your landlord? What era are the units?

dinx, Aug 6, 9:21pm
There are sometimes some visual hints with some kinds of textures but the test is the way to be sure.

Its not automatically a risk even it it is there unless its breaking down (flaking etc) or you are disturbing it in a property like reno work. From memory in Chch, lots of official repairs encapsulated ceilings by sealing it rather than removing. not sure I agree with that anyhow cause at some stage someone will drill thru it for some reason.

Age is also a hint, I think it was banned about 1984 but our house was built about 1989 or possibly later based on plan dates. There were a few cowboys using it after '84 but not as late as ours was built we were told.

There isnt that much dust in the removing stage if you are doing it damp and scraping it. Its plastering and sanding (use a pole) that makes that mess!.

pleco, Aug 7, 6:03am
Would it be easier and cheaper to have it gibbed over the top?

vintage_betty, Aug 7, 6:29am
A couple of people did mention that but how does that work with the cornice?

shanreagh, Aug 7, 8:26am
They would take the cornice off, if they can and reinstate later or else remove and then put a new cornice in at the same time as doing the gibbing. Relatives are carefully removing fancy cornice ATM to put back after fireplace has been removed. Plastering suppliers can access plaster cornices of various types.

zak410, Aug 7, 4:47pm
I you decide to re-gib over, an easy way to solve this problem is to have a 10mm negative details around the room, between the new ceiling and the scotia/cornice, especially if it is a plaster cornice or Gib coved.

Timber scotia can easily be removed and refixed later.

lovelurking, Aug 7, 5:43pm
I’d just paint the ceiling and put up with it because I’m as tight as a fishes bum.
(It will be fashionable again one day.)
I’d put the money you haven’t spent into something the whole family can enjoy, like a spa pool.

cabrio1, Aug 8, 8:37am
How many sq meters of ceiling do you have , roughly.

vintage_betty, Oct 9, 12:02pm
I don't know but the house is 140sq meters so not massive I would say. Every room does have stipple though.