Old Sky dish - monetary value?

manaia127, Apr 10, 9:40am
I’ve just taken an old sky dish off my roof. I’ve never had Sky and it was on my house when I bought it 20 years ago. Can it be recycled or does it have a value to anyone? Would Sky come and collect it since it may still belong to them?

msigg, Apr 10, 10:01am
Bin.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 10, 10:40am
Turn upside down, and fit to a fence, they make really good safe shallow bowls for food or water for the birds and bees.

tweake, Apr 10, 12:01pm
actually there was a big debate over sky dish ownership many decades ago. long story short, despite what sky say, the home owner owns it.

the value, considering its 20 years old, probably almost stuffed and the low cost of sat dishes these days, its worth nothing.

androth2, Apr 10, 12:58pm
scrap dealer will give 25 cents a kilo

wasgonna, Apr 10, 3:11pm
Should get more if sport is on.

marte, Apr 10, 4:46pm
Its scrap steel.
If it was scrap Aluminium you might be lucky to get that for it.
But scrap lightweight steel is worth nothing but the satisfaction of knowing its going to be recycled.

trade4us2, Apr 10, 4:52pm
I'm still using my old Sky dish for Freeview. Surely it has value?

tweake, Apr 10, 5:01pm
at 20y old all the bolts will be rusted together, its going to be in poor condition for use. odds are it will be damaged getting it off.
better to buy one in good condition, which generally means new.

androth2, Apr 11, 2:09pm
Scrap dealers have a mixed metals bin where they put odds at 25c kg like steel,copper,brass,aluminum, old transformers etc

trade4us2, Apr 11, 8:36pm
You are right, the bolts are very rusty. However I don't intend removing it and it works perfectly.

swivel, Apr 11, 9:16pm
Sky owns all gear from the dish to the indoor equipment.

trade4us2, Apr 12, 1:51pm
I gave the indoor equipment back to Sky, as they were unable/refused to fix it.

tweake, Apr 12, 5:34pm
well no.
anything fixed to a house becomes property of the owner of the house.
so the dish belongs to the home owner regardless what sky say.
this got thrashed out many decades ago.
sky want dishes left on the house so they don't have to install a new one for the next owner/renter. but quite often owners or real estate agents would remove them to make the place look tidier before sale.

5425, Apr 12, 7:23pm
Sky don't want it back , but if you ask them to remove it as the cost of re-instatement eg repainting and repairs to mounting holes , Sky will refuse
simply due to cost.

bill1451, Apr 12, 7:31pm
I sold 2 of these on trade me for $20.00 each years ago and they had no transponders on them, handy for people who cant get terrestial freeview but
can receive it with a dish, easy enough to do if you have a satellite finder that I got of t/me for $20.00.

tweake, Apr 12, 8:05pm
sounds about right.
i use to get quite a few places that had been damaged by dodgy installs. when their customers send them repair bills things get interesting fast.

andrew1954, Apr 13, 5:25pm
Many years ago Sky had at least one employee whos job it was to comb through the TradeMe ads etc and spot the “Sky dish for sale” ads. and then they would post a very matter of fact message reminding the seller that the dish was not theirs to sell. indeed they want the dishes to stay installed so the next house owner was one step closer / easier to get sky installed again. the hard part had been done. putting up the dosh and runing the coax!

trade4us2, Aug 2, 11:58am
I have never needed a satellite finder. You don't need to have the dish on the roof, so put it somewhere where you can see your TV set. The TV set has a signal strength meter (from the set top box).
If you have no idea where to point the dish, look at your neighbours' dish.