Lime Scale build up on kettle

angebkworm, Oct 28, 7:53am
Does anyone know of anything that works to get rid of the lime scale that builds up on the kettle.Tried white vinegar and shop bought product.nothing works.I've heard CLR may work but that seems a little drastic.Maybe I should get a new kettle.

kateley, Oct 28, 7:58am
I use citric acid.Boil up a full kettle then add a couple of tablespoons of citric acid and leave to cool.I wash it out with soapy water too, and rinse well before I use it again.

angebkworm, Oct 28, 8:01am
Cheers, I'll try that.

wheelz, Oct 28, 8:37am
Getting a new kettle is a little drastic !CLR works well and is really quick. Rinses out no problem. Lemons cut up and boiled in the jug, left to sit works too, but takes a little longer.

laurenlee, Oct 28, 3:34pm
I use lemon too-fill jug with water,add cut up lemon and leave overnight.Lovely and fresh result.

t_naki, Oct 28, 5:41pm
While we are on the topic any one have any ideas about how to get it of showers, in particular the glass door and chrome.

wheelz, Oct 29, 12:17am
CLR

kinna54, Oct 29, 1:03am
The citric acid works brilliant in the kettle. I do it often.
For the shower put some straight white vinegar in a spray bottle, or i guess you could try a paste made of the citric acid.

moby, Oct 29, 1:41am
I wonder if CLR would be any good for degunking hot water cylenders!.

gj, Oct 29, 12:54pm
Use a whole lemon cut in 2 or 3 chunks. Bring to boil twice then leave for an hour or so. I was sceptical till I tried it on our stainless steel kettle, but it came up shiny clean and it now boils quieter!