Perlite substitute for vegepod

ang_ck, Oct 26, 5:02pm
I won a vegepod and now trying to grow some vegetables. However, to prepare for the bed, I have to buy some Perlite. They are super expensive. $10 for 5 Litre.

For those who have vegepod, what do you use? For those who are experts in gardening, what is a good substitute for Perlite?

lythande1, Oct 26, 5:36pm
Well no you don't really. We've never used anything except home made compost. in the ground, in planters, pots, everything. Never had any issues, everything grew well.

If you feel you really need the water retention see here:

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/alternatives-vermiculite-perlite-43502.html

stevo2, Oct 26, 6:22pm
I bought a large sack of perlite for mine. I will use the rest over time in the garden.
It helps the water in the bottom trays to wick up into the mix

ang_ck, Oct 26, 7:38pm
x1
@stevo2, how big is your large sack? and how much you paid for it?
Here's my take on it. Spent the whole weekend writing it!

Vegepod Alternatives: Finding the Right Garden Bed for You

Gardening is a rewarding hobby that not only allows you to grow your own food but also provides a sense of satisfaction and connection with nature. If you're looking for an easy and convenient way to start gardening, you might have come across the Vegepod - a self-contained garden bed that comes with a range of benefits, including pest protection and water-saving features. However, with many other options available, it's worth exploring some Vegepod alternatives that could suit your needs and budget better.

What is similar to a Vegepod?
Vegepods are essentially raised garden beds with a protective cover that creates a microclimate for your plants. Some similar products include:

Greenlife Garden Bed: This modular garden bed is made from recycled plastic and comes with a sturdy frame and base. It's easy to assemble and can be configured to fit any space.

Birdies Garden Products: This Australian-made garden bed is available in various shapes and sizes and is made from galvanized steel. It's durable, easy to assemble, and comes with a 5-year warranty.

Glowpear Urban Garden: This self-watering planter is designed for small spaces and comes with a built-in water reservoir that keeps your plants hydrated. It's made from BPA-free materials and is available in various colors.

Are Vegepods worth it?

Vegepods can be a great investment for anyone who wants to start a garden but doesn't have the time or expertise to build one from scratch. They offer a range of benefits, including:

Pest protection: The protective cover keeps bugs and animals away from your plants, reducing the need for pesticides.

Water-saving: The wicking system ensures that your plants receive the right amount of water without wasting it.

Easy to maintain: The self-contained design makes it easy to care for your plants and reduce the amount of weeding required.

However, Vegepods can be expensive, especially if you opt for a larger size. Additionally, they may not be suitable for all plants, particularly those that require more space to grow.

How long does a Vegepod last?
Vegepods are made from durable materials and can last for several years if properly maintained. The high-density polyethylene (HDPE) cover is UV-stabilized to prevent fading and cracking, while the steel frame is powder-coated for rust resistance. Additionally, Vegepods come with a 10-year warranty for the cover and frame, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your investment is protected.

Does Vegepod go on sale?
Vegepods occasionally go on sale, particularly during peak gardening seasons. It's worth checking the Vegepod website or subscribing to their newsletter to stay up-to-date on any promotions. Additionally, you may be able to find Vegepods on sale at garden centers or online retailers during clearance sales or end-of-season specials.

What is the best companion plant?
Companion planting is the practice of growing different plants together to maximize their benefits and minimize their drawbacks. Some popular companion plants for vegetables include:

Tomatoes and basil: Basil can help repel pests that are attracted to tomatoes while also enhancing their flavor.

Carrots and onions: Onions can deter carrot flies while carrots can help loosen the soil for onions to grow.

Peas and beans: Peas and beans are legumes that can fix nitrogen in the soil, which is beneficial for other plants.

How often should you change the soil in a Vegepod?
Vegepods come with a soil depth of 20cm, which is sufficient for most plants. However, it's recommended that you refresh the soil every 12 months to maintain its nutrient content and prevent soil-borne diseases. You can replace the entire soil or simply top it up with a layer of compost or fertilizer to improve its quality.

Can you overwater a Vegepod?
While the wicking system in Vegepods is designed to prevent overwatering, it's still possible to overwater your plants if you're not careful. Overwatering can lead to root rot and other fungal diseases, particularly in humid climates. To prevent overwatering, make sure to monitor the moisture level in the soil and adjust the watering schedule accordingly. You can also install a drainage system or elevate the Vegepod slightly to allow excess water to drain away.

How many bags of soil does it take to fill a Vegepod?
The amount of soil required to fill a Vegepod depends on its size. Here's a rough estimate:

- Small Vegepod (1m x 1m): 8-10 bags of 25L soil
- Medium Vegepod (2m x 1m): 16-20 bags of 25L soil
- Large Vegepod (2m x 1.5m): 24-30 bags of 25L soil

It's important to choose high-quality soil that's suitable for the type of plants you're growing. You can use a mix of potting mix, compost, and vermiculite or perlite to improve drainage and nutrient retention.

What are the best vegetable grow bags?

Grow bags are a popular alternative to traditional garden beds, particularly for small spaces or renters. Some of the best vegetable grow bags include:

Vivosun Grow Bags: These fabric grow bags are durable, lightweight, and come in various sizes. They're made from non-woven fabric that allows air and water to circulate, promoting healthy root growth.

Root Pouch Grow Bags: These fabric grow bags are made from recycled plastic bottles and come in various colors and sizes. They're biodegradable and can last up to 5 years.

Gardzen Grow Bags: These fabric grow bags are made from heavy-duty non-woven fabric and come in various sizes. They have reinforced handles for easy transport and can be used for both indoor and outdoor gardening.

What is the best soil to use in a Vegepod?
The best soil for Vegepods is one that's rich in organic matter and nutrients, well-draining, and has a neutral pH. You can use a mix of potting mix, compost, and vermiculite or perlite to create a lightweight, nutrient-rich soil. Avoid using garden soil, which can be too heavy and compacted for container gardening. Additionally, it's recommended that you add a slow-release fertilizer to the soil to provide your plants with a steady supply of nutrients throughout the growing season.

stevo2, Oct 27, 5:34am
https://www.easygrow.co.nz/hydroponic-mediums/231-perlite-100l-.html
Its large and will last you for many years.
Cheers Stevo

ang_ck, Oct 27, 8:21am
@stevo2, I paid $10 for 5 Litre. you got a bargain. thank you

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 27, 9:24am
A potential substitute would be pumice gravel, which comes in coarse and fine grades, but probably works out just as expensive in smaller bags.

jan2242, Oct 27, 10:31am
Just bought 3 x 40L bags of Pumice Sand from Kings for $27 on special. I'm going to use this to help with drainage in my attempt at making potting mix.

namtak, Oct 28, 5:09pm
Not if you have a pumice dump a few miles away. Cheap as chips and works very well with potting mix for my cacti.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 29, 8:04am
Not all are quite so blessed though! Mind you, I see a TM business opportunity there for you - and not just among cacti enthusiasts. I use it in my aquariums and having been a Taupo resident for years, dislike intensely having to pay through the nose for the lovely stuff!

sailor13, Sep 14, 12:15am
Hi i have got x2 large pods i put lots of coarse pumice in the bottem then mixed lots throught the potting mix all my plants grow realy well we eat all year round out of them.