Prewashing linen fabric

sally63, Jan 30, 12:53pm
I am having my couch recovered in a loose cover and want to prewash the 100% linen fabric to preshrink it. I am reading conflicting reports on google.

It is 14m and expensive so don.t want to make a mistake!
Anyone done this?

schnauzer11, Jan 30, 1:26pm
When sewing, I've always pre-washed cotton or linen fabric. The linen should then be ironed, with lots of steam.

sally63, Jan 30, 1:34pm
Thanks schnauzer. It is 14m pretty heavy quality. Is there any best way of doing this? I will have to use the super large laundromat machine

shanreagh, Jan 30, 1:57pm
I put some comments on your earlier post. Steam ironing is good.

I would try not to use a laundromat machine, these are often not well maintained. Is there are way of cutting it roughly to size for one loose cover and washing as you go?

sally63, Jan 30, 2:19pm
OK thanks for the heads up re laundromats Have printed out your notes. I am not sure about cutting it roughly to size. Am understandably nervous!

sally63, Jan 30, 2:35pm
When you say not well maintained, what do you mean please?

hazelnut2, Jan 30, 4:42pm
From my experience: The machine was too high and soap was thrown will-nilly at the dispensers in the hope of getting the right one, which resulted in the softener/final rinse dispenser being FULL of soap! I stood on a chair to try to clean it out so my large blanket would be rinsed properly.

I learned it was the owner of the laundromat who did the 'cleaning'.

woody89, Jan 30, 4:46pm
If the point of washing it is to preshrink it, do not cut it prior as it's impossible to predict exactly how much shrinkage will occur. It may even be likely that your 14m preshrunk will not be enough post shrink. The other thing to consider is that the grain of the fabric, esp linen, can distort & no longer run straight.

hazelnut2, Jan 30, 4:51pm
I would find it very worthwhile to be taking such a large piece to the dry-cleaners for pre-treatment, either washing or drycleaning. Whatever way they do it, you'll have to do this afterwards too. At least they have the professional capacity in their large machines and steam presses.

Make sure you finish off each end (overlocker or zig-zag), so the piece doesn't fray.

sally63, Jan 30, 5:33pm
I have plenty of fabric- got extra just in case. I needed 11.5m and got 14m. What is the point of having loose covers if you cannot wash them? I thought that was why people had them.

gilligee, Jan 30, 6:17pm
Always iron linen while still damp if you end up doing it yourself.

hazelnut2, Jan 30, 6:41pm
You've bought about 25% more fabric than you needed and I'm pretty sure the linen won't shrink anywhere near that much when it is washed. It's just that 14 metres is lot of fabric and it'll need a lot of ironing when it's still quite damp.

The drycleaners have the 'big guns' and I think it'd really be worth while for them to wash, dry and press it for you. Ask for it to be rolled up, not folded. Do you have a fabric cardboard roll for it to go onto? You could most likely find one at a curtain makers.

Good Luck!

sally63, Jan 30, 7:17pm
Yes i think that's a great idea Hazelnut. It will save me all the stress. Yes it is on a roll now.

marte, Jan 30, 7:51pm
Drycleaners have a rolling machine that irons & drys' bed sheets.
It will do the whole roll in less than a minute.
Maybe 2 if they do it twice.

hazelnut2, Jan 30, 8:13pm
You're Welcome!

hazelnut2, Jan 30, 8:14pm
Grunty machines will make light work of Sally's fabric.

sally63, Jan 30, 8:18pm
Thanks everybody. Decision made based on less stress! But I sure appreciate all the comments!

woody89, Aug 21, 6:18pm
The point I made about pre-cutting was simply that with shrinkage, it could mean that your cut pieces aren't large enough after washing & you end up with bits that are unusable. Loose covers are indeed meant to be easy to take off & wash but some fabrics are more up to the task than others. Hopefully the drycleaner will be a good option for you. Good luck