Defective product

smoky80, Apr 29, 10:51pm
hello all.

We bought a garden shed kit about a year ago and then got it assembled/installed by a professional. the kit came with a ten year warranty. we noticed the shed started showing signs of rusting so we contacted the supplier, and they sent a replacement kit. the issue we now have is that we need to spend again on the installation (costed about 75% of the kit cost). possibly we will also have to spend to get the rusty one disposed off. the supplier is not willing to pay for the above. any of you have gone through similar experience and can share your thoughts on if the supplier should pay or not for the installation? cheers

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 30, 6:59am
I think the important bit is that the product is and always was - a kit. Not an assembled product. So the supplier is right, and has fulfilled their responsibilities.

aprilguy, Apr 30, 9:13am
Yes, getting the replacement kit is a big achievement and the seller should not pay for assembly. Why not DIY? Just google: kit shed assemble youtube

frooge, Apr 30, 9:57am
Are you sure you want another shed that will probably rust in the same time as the original? Why not treat the rust and repaint your shed, sell the kitset to defray costs. How bad is it after 1 year?

amasser, Apr 30, 10:38am
Agree with all 3 answers. At least the supplier didn't try to blame faulty assembly.

sandymrph, Apr 30, 9:00pm
You couldn't put a kitset garden shed together yourself ?!?

oakcottage, Apr 30, 11:33pm
Why is that so surprising? Not everyone is "handy". Maybe health or disability issues or just like me, a middle aged woman who needs a shed but can't put it up alone and doesn't want to impose on friends for help and has the money to pay a professional. But unfortunately for the OP the shed supplier is in no way responsible for anything other than replacing the shed.

nzhel, May 1, 1:29am
I'd try ringing the Consumer for advice.

oh_hunnihunni, May 1, 7:25am
I couldn't put it together, lots of us couldn't. Which is why having friends with skills is such a blessing. And if there are any out there, I still have this shelf that needs sorting.

kacy5, May 1, 7:50pm
I had a 16 year old put mine up just before he started his building apprenticeship. He did a great job although he did ask for a while if it was still standing especially after high winds which we get plenty of in this area. He didn't want to take money either, was pleased to get experience although the cash made him grin after I insisted he take it.

gabbysnana, May 2, 8:58am
its called consequential losses and yes the supplier has to put you into the same position you were before the loss. Take them to the dt if their light bulb doesn't go off.

smoky80, Jul 28, 10:19am
Thanks all. Had we not spent quite a bit on installation we would not have got that much frustrated. 10 year warranty gave us the confidence to go ahead getting it professionally installed.