Wiring external sensor to spotlight.

andrew1954, Jan 1, 6:27pm
I never think it is a good idea for someone who does not have the necessary knowledge to undertake a task, that they are not legally allowed to do, by receiving instructions from total stranger of unknown skill levels, by correspondence !

denisekitcher, Dec 30, 9:12pm
Hi All

I’m trying to wire an external sensor to my existing spotlight.

Photo here: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/703333024.jpg

According to the manual, instructions that came with the sensor are to wire “A” and “N” to the sensor, and then “Load” to the light fixture.

I’m confused – currently the wires I have from the wall switch are Red, Black and Green. Does this mean attach Red to “A”, and then Black to “N”, and then connect the Red cable going to my spotlight to “Load”?

Many Thanks!

fast4motion, Dec 30, 9:47pm
Yes.
And your spotlight will also need an "N" (neutral) connection if it doesn't already have one, or else it won't work.
And I'd run an earth wire as well, since there's already one from your switch.

denisekitcher, Dec 30, 9:56pm
Thank you @fast4motion! Noob electrician here :)

My spotlight has Red, Blue and Green - which I presume is Live, Neutral and Earth.

When I wire the Red cable going to my spotlight to “Load”, do I also wire the Blue cable to the arrow in marked 'N'?

Where would the earth wire from the switch, and from the spotlight go?

Many Thanks again.

fast4motion, Dec 30, 10:07pm
Yeah, that's correct. So the black wire from the switch, and the blue wire from the spotlight, should be put into the same terminal (N) at the sensor.

You'd need an extra connector to join the earth wires together. It'll work without it, but you definitely should connect them for safety reasons.

denisekitcher, Dec 30, 10:10pm
Great - thanks so much for that @fast4motion :)

Happy New Year

john.s, Dec 30, 10:11pm
you didn't read the the words after "warning.

planespotterhvn, Dec 31, 6:09am
That Spotlight wire is Brown; Blue; Green/Yellow (a different wire colour-code standard.
Red = Live, Phase, Active = Brown
Black = Neutral = Blue
Green = Earth / Ground / Chassis = Green/Yellow stripe

fast4motion, Dec 31, 12:21pm
Quite a few electrical "fittings" don't follow a single wire colour standard. I've seen a few as OP has described, which appear to be a combination of new and old colour codes.

ryanm2, Dec 31, 2:06pm
You can get yourself into a bit of trouble if you follow your own advice - a lot of fittings now on the market which are sourced from the EU which have their own standards.

trade_menow, Mar 23, 4:41pm
+1 - if you dont know what your doing - get in a sparky