Golfdiver or roofers

stevo2, Dec 5, 7:39pm
We are building a new home for a client and the roofers are using ESPAN roofing.
http://www.metalcraftgroup.co.nz/products/metal-roofing-and-cladding/products/espan-470/
The pitch is 3 degrees but where they have bent the end up at the top of the sheet, it has deformed the pan - so much so that the final 200mm is actually running back the other way at about 2 or 3 degrees. Obviously this will hold water.
They have used a pair of wide vicegrips to do the weathering.
Does this product deform like this if they use a proper bender instead of the vicegrips?
I remember using a similar product back in the 70's and we had a proper tool made to do the weathering but cant remember any deforming.
Cheers Stevo

golfdiver, Dec 5, 7:58pm
I haven’t used espan, as I’m not a fan of the manufacturer, but we’ve installed several different clip on profiles. Getting the right turn up tool is essential imo. And as a rule you can borrow one from the role former. Negative pitch on a 3 degree roof must take some doing. These profiles used to be specified down to one degree but the days of butt coverage are here. Personally I think 5 degrees is a better minimum

stevo2, Dec 5, 8:06pm
Thanks Golfdiver. The roofers are trying to talk their way out of it but I think they will need to replace it. The "top" of the sheet will hold about 10mm of water under the apron flashing. The website says the correct tool must be used for stopends but they used wide vicegrips. Pack of knobs.

pauldw, Dec 5, 9:11pm
The video on stop ends on your link just shows the guy using sheet metal vicegrips (does that make them an approved tool?). He does say not to try and do too much at once or you'll get oil canning. Presume oil canning is your problem.

golfdiver, Dec 6, 5:58am
Canning is ripples in the sheet. This is more of a ponding issue .

stevo2, Dec 6, 9:11pm
Here's an idea of what we're looking at. About 7 or 8mm of water will pond under the apron flashing.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/689427937.jpg

krames, Dec 6, 9:54pm
can you put a 12mm h3 ply ripping at apex?

golfdiver, Dec 6, 10:26pm
What gauge is it?

golfdiver, Dec 6, 10:31pm
The stuff you worked with in the 70’s was probably Brownbuilt which was a heavy gauge galv product . Zincalume which I assume this is , is a different beast . The head flashing will hide it, so depends really on whether you guys will accept it and the manufacturer will give a warranty. That is where it starts and ends for you guys

stevo2, Jan 31, 3:12am
Thanks, the boss was having a meeting with the installer yesterday si we'll see where it goes from there. He is very fussy though.,