Invasive Trampolinus Giganteaum

Page 1 / 2
akl439, Sep 29, 12:47pm
Help - any suggestions as to how we can screen out our neighbour's huge trampoline which they have just moved to right in front of our deck. There is a small garden area in front of it where the red abutilon is. Any ideas about tree/shrub etc that might make this a bit easier on the eye would be much appreciated.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 29, 6:39pm
Let's hope no tornadoes get near you guys.

Perhaps though if you get grandpa to pop over for a bit of nude sunbathing they could be persuaded to move it?

akl439, Sep 29, 9:19pm
Love it! Hire a wrinkly gramp

akl439, Sep 29, 9:19pm

ladyel, Sep 29, 9:28pm
Trellace.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 29, 9:29pm
Ahhhh! Trellis panel along the top of the fence, with fast growing vines or something similar (rose? clematis? hydrangea? wisteria?) that suits your local conditions. I did this on a fence between us and a childcare centre, and though it didn't stop noise, it did give us back a bit of privacy.

rbd, Sep 30, 2:33am
Maybe they don't like the view in your direction and are attempting to block it out?

lythande1, Sep 30, 8:09am
You're worried about that?! YOu can barely see it. and then only the top.
Back of me, I have an HNZ house, we can look straight at each other its that close.
Front of me the crosslease neighbour, I did make the fence higher which helped but you can still see straight onto their deck and vice versa.

koru67, Sep 30, 11:13am
Ooh that is huge, similar to our neighbours washing line which is attached to our boundary fence but sits above the fenceline. So we used to look at the garden but your eye is automatically drawn to what is above. What about something like cordyline stricta showoff if you could buy large grade ones. Or more taller cannas. Ours have grown tall but they did take time to get to that height.

autumnwinds, Oct 1, 3:03pm
I'd be putting in three large 100 x 100 posts with a cross bar of 100 x 100 on top (checked into the posts) and bolted with coach bolts, concreted in if possible, if you were considering wisteria or similar climber.

It wouldn't be a "fence", but a "plant support". This would get around the laws about fence heights.

Wisteria starts out as a thin vine, and gets seriously thick and very heavy. but makes a great screen as well as being very attractive. "Potato vine", clematis and even a passionfruit are other things you could consider for climbing over that "plant support".

sr2, Oct 1, 10:28pm
Bamboo?

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 1, 10:32pm
Yeah. With the concrete barrier on your side.

That'd learn the bastards.

ianab, Oct 1, 10:45pm
Build a 30 ft Trump Wall in place of that puny wee fence?

Otherwise, a run of Trellis panels along the top of the existing fence.

lakeview3, Oct 1, 11:07pm
sprinkler running everytime they use it.

lakeview3, Oct 1, 11:09pm
Grow a pittosporum hedge

tegretol, Oct 1, 11:55pm
Get over it - it's on their own property and at least they appear to be taking good care of their children. Damned good job you don't live beside me and whinge about that sort of trivia. Ya gotta be nice to neighbours in town.

Looking at things from their point of view - do you not think they may have reason to grizzle about that big tree of yours which will undoubtedly be dumping its droppings on ther side of the fence?

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 2, 10:18am
This isn't Opinions. On this board we're good neighbours to each other. Try it.

shanreagh, Oct 2, 11:40am
Oh my obviously you have never lived next door to this. The sight is just the first thing, ugly as, then there's the little darlings sproing, sproiing up and down sometimes in your line of sight sometimes not, screaming and carrying on. not so much the screaming but the 'sproing, sproing' noise must be a special form of torture. Neighbours lose their privacy as the height can enable children to look into the next door properties. Parents spend untold for what is usually a very short-lived craze. in Wellington unsuspecting souls often have these objects, trampolinus giganteaum, arrive uninvited in their properties during storms. Parents forget to secure them. Pittosporum hedge sounds good with potato vine a fast grower as well.

tegretol, Oct 2, 11:47am
If you really want to be a nasty neighbour, plant Pyracantha coccinea and allow it to get thru the fence.

jano8, Oct 2, 1:24pm
Wow ! a lot of these comments come across as very 'mean spirited' and family unfriendly. you never know who may move next door to you, i would be thankfull it was a happy family, MANY MANY folk would rather the sounds of children playing and bouncy trampoline sounds over other situations. Personally don't think its much of an eyesore, and if you do, its also easy to fix. Also people with pools often carry lots of noises over fences, just sayin!

shanreagh, Oct 2, 8:08pm
Oh dear again. OP has a genuine problem and does not need platitudes about happy, or not, families. My experience is with the sproing sproing and sudden appearances. The range of ideas with the plant supports and plants will minimise both the sight and sound.

docsportello, Oct 3, 10:48am
That's no tramp. THAT's the MOTHERSHIP

jan2242, Oct 3, 11:34am
Charge them every time they manage to get into your huge pool. Easy way to block view would be ti put some trellis on top of that part of the fence and grow something up it?

akl439, Oct 3, 12:23pm
Thanks for all your genuine suggestions. I think the trellis and climbers are a great idea. As there are only 2 oldies living here we don't do belly flops and screeching in the pool and our trees don't shed into the neighbour''s garden. Whilst the sound of children playing may be delightful, screaming every time you bounce on a tramp is not. I realise some people think we're getting upset about what they think is nothing, but our only outdoor seating area looks straight at this 'mothership'. The fence actually goes down another metre from what is in the photo so you can imagine the size of this thing. In fact if you bounced hard enough on it you would probably come over the fence! Anyway, I appreciate all the genuine helpful suggestions, thank you.

lakeview3, Oct 3, 12:35pm
our neighbours had a tramp and the grandkids came and screamed and shrieked in it, it reminded me of why we got rid of our trampoline. My rules were, no screaming, one at a time. No one listened so I got rid of it! Haha! Good job, that taught them to pay attention! (Luckily our neighbours got rid of their trampoline as well, but I did do the sprinkler if the screaming got too bad)