When you don't know what the job is worth

triedntrue, Oct 9, 7:38pm
What do you think a reasonable price would be to install a 1800 wide aluminium window into wall, build a simple support for a bench top and line a wall approx 3x2m
Not including materials

jmma, Oct 9, 8:17pm
First off, what is where the window is going eg = Old window, just a blank wall?
Line a wall, what material is lining, ext or int?
More info needed :o)

stevo2, Oct 9, 8:26pm
$3047+gst

alleycatz, Oct 9, 8:45pm
does that include travelling time/miles?

cagivachick1, Oct 9, 9:02pm
never give a tradie the chance to add more $$$

triedntrue, Oct 9, 9:39pm
I do realise that there are many variables- but would you think its under 5g? over 5g? over 10g?
Window going in exterior wall- no current window
Lining interior wall, either ply or acrylic sheet

Im having a really hard time finding builders that can do the work in the time needed - so far I've had one quote and its hard to judge that price when you don't have anything to base it off. Hence, asking opinions

supernova2, Oct 9, 9:58pm
Is this a wall of a house, commercial building, garage, garden shed? Will the work require a code of compliance cert? Is the wall only 2mtrs high 'cause most are 2.4?
You need to provide a lot more info before anyone can give you a proper idea.
From what little info you have provided I reckon the work could be done in 3 hours but it would look like crap and probably leak like a seive. If you want a proper job then you could kiss goodbye to perhaps 3 days so 24 hours or even more.

triedntrue, Oct 9, 11:22pm
Commercial building - The wall is only 2 meters as its just an internal partition wall- doesn't go to ceiling

docsportello, Oct 10, 7:55am
When you don't know what it's worth, it's free. Just say, "its just a small job, wont take much." And then never pay.

johotech, Oct 10, 8:04am
So it's taken you nearly 4hrs on here before you provide this very relevant information?

No wonder you're having trouble getting prices from tradesmen.

andrew1954, Oct 10, 6:22pm
A hint when you get around to having a tradie quoting on the job. let him or her decide how big the job is, how long it will take and how “easy” it should be to do !
Also be prepared to pay a higher charge out / labour rate for a labour only job.

stevo2, Mar 10, 5:47am
yes
but only if you live in my street