Can I transplant a chilli?

meoldchina, Apr 8, 7:40pm
My outdoor chilli plant has been prolific this summer. I have picked all the chillies and am wondering if I can dig the plant out of the ground and transplant it into my greenhouse for the winter, and if I do, will I get another growth of chillies over winter?

samanya, Apr 8, 7:56pm
I don't know if it would survive . & if you have room in the glass house. why not give it a go?
You'd only be composting it wouldn't you . cos after the first frost it will be a goner, anyway.
You've had a good crop of chillies, so what have you got to lose?
Good luck

..james.., Apr 8, 8:02pm
you can transplant it and it may grow if you are careful but no it won't produce more chillies in the winter.

brouser3, Apr 11, 10:32am
Also be aware that the plant will suffer some root damage in the transplanting process and this may affect its chances of survival.

meoldchina, Apr 11, 10:47am
Thank you all.

maclad, Apr 11, 1:04pm
I have transplanted capsicums, successfully, several times. Of course there is always a risk but with care and a bit of pruning it should be fine. It is not likely to produce over winter but you will get a head start in Spring.

ianab, Apr 11, 9:05pm
Some chillies are perennials, and can fruit for 4 or 5 years as long as the frost doesn't get them.

So my advice would be to try. It might work, and recover from the move by spring and fruit again. You haven't lost anything if it doesn't make it.

articferrit, Apr 12, 3:21pm
I grow them in pots and just put them somewhere sheltered for winter and they will have a headstart, they wont grow chillies until next year, same applies to peppers. I would try transplanting them, youve got nothing to lose by trying.

morticia, Apr 12, 4:03pm
I moved mine out of a small pot that left it dry half the time into a big container a couple of weeks ago, it never crossed my mind that it wouldn't continue to do well and the chilis on it continue to ripen. It doesn't appear to have noticed the move.

maclad, Apr 12, 5:26pm
Repotting from a small to a larger pot is not a problem. However digging up a plant in the garden and moving it is a different story as the roots get disturbed and cut off. It can be done depending on what the plant is and how much aftercare the plant is given. I have moved many, many plants at the "wrong" time and mostly had success.

maclad, Apr 12, 5:28pm
Agree chillies, capsicums certainly do more than one season if treated right.

ricp, Apr 12, 5:55pm
Yes, just keep it on the dry side over winter and cut back hard plus feed in September when it starts growing strongly again.

hayster94, Apr 14, 10:10pm
You won't get anymore unless your greenhouse is heated. I would cut the plant back considerably. Once the weather starts to warm back up you will have a solid start on the growing season. This is what I plan to do with my prolific growers anyway.

ianab, Apr 15, 11:30am
Agree. It's more about just keeping the plant warm enough to make it through the winter. Then in the spring it's got a head start on flowering and fruiting again earlier than any new seedlings.

morticia, Nov 25, 10:55pm
I disturbed the roots completely by teasing out all the old, caked and dried out mix and replanting it with bare roots in new stuff. I took off a lot of the straggly roots at the same time. It has loads of new flowers on it now. After care has been zilch, all I have done is water it a few times and plant three cloves of elephant garlic around the perimeter of the pot.