Hollow Courgettes

karakagranny, Dec 21, 3:25am
Wondered if anyone had any ideas why my courgettes are hollow this year. They are the yellow ones, planted in the same garden as 6 other plants, plenty of water, plenty of space to grow, plenty of nutrients, drainage but this one plant is producing hollow courgettes of a good size but have no seeds at all. They are not brown inside, no sign of bugs or pests, flowers look ok. Any ideaswhat I have done wrong ! TIA

christin, Dec 21, 3:45am
not sure if you found this on the net.did they grow a lot faster than the other ones!

"This is a condition that is called hollow heart. There is not a general consensus as to why it happens.

Some people think that it has to do with the fruit growing too fast. The exterior grows faster than the interior. This could be caused by too much water or too much fertilizer.

Others think that it is related to poor pollination or even the weather that happens during pollination."

gyrogearloose, Dec 21, 4:00am
You must be growing the special hollow courgettes bred for stuffing with mince and onions.

karakagranny, Dec 21, 4:38am
Thanks, didnt see that at all, just hollow because of pests or the flower was half ripped off and rot set in.

karakagranny, Dec 21, 4:39am
LOL, yes of course, I hadnt thought of that ! Personally, I prefer the green ones, I reckon they have more flavour, but the yellow ones look prettier in a salad

net_oz, Dec 24, 6:49am
\
Bake them with a bit of cheese on top as well, for a really tasty meal.