Can kumara be grown in Christchurch?

calista, Jan 23, 5:54pm
At $8.99 a kilo in the supermarket now, so it might be worth trying.

I have a vague memory of someone telling me that historically kumara couldn't be grown here, but I don't know if any modern cultivars would be possible to grow.

Has anyone tried?

TIA

bill1451, Jan 23, 7:52pm
nah too cold, they like lots of water and warm night temperatures,
possibly in a glass house but then you would need to heat it.

samanya, Jan 23, 8:37pm
You'd be pushing your luck.
I couldn't grow them in Nelson on a property with a great micro climate.
I think they need about 6 - 7 months of warmish temps.

calista, Jan 23, 10:30pm
Thanks for the replies - even though I didn't like what they said.😥.

Will just have to budget more frugally.

junie2, Jan 24, 12:06am
I would have to agree with all above BUT I was surprised to read somewhere a while back that lots of pre-European kumara pits had been found on the West Coast. I know that's not here, but still wouldn't have thought it possible there either. Maybe they brought them down from the north?

smyrnia, Jan 24, 11:08am
I read this about Castle Hill the other day.
"Kura Tāwhiti literally means “the treasure from a distant land”, referring to the kumara that was once cultivated in this region."
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-go/canterbury/places/kura-tawhiti-conservation-area/
It's a lot colder and snowier there than ChCh.
So should be possible down here.
Possibly they had much hardier varieties back then ?

poppysinger2, Jan 24, 11:48am
I did manage to grow a very small crop of Kumara one summer in South New Brighton using a sheet of corrugated iron underneath . It was quite a phaff and I didnt bother again , My understanding was that Banks Peninsula was the southern most limit on kumara growing .

tourer100, Jan 24, 3:24pm
You should go on nz veg garden page on fb, so much info on there, lots from Christchurch, and yes, some are trying.

monsieurl, Jan 7, 2:42am
My brother in law (in Dunedin) has a good crop of Kumara growing in his glass house which isn't airtight and has some plastic sheeting where glass should be and it's growing pretty good, Casava too.