Unusual delphinium

maclad, Nov 29, 7:07pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/685073335.jpg
I like this plant, it is different, but if anyone can shed light on exactly what it is/ how it came to be I would be interested. It does not do very well but is very different to any delphinium, it is very short, I have seen before and flowers every year. I have not managed to lose it yet. Use to have another one similar but it was purple tones rather than blue.

piquant, Nov 29, 9:46pm
Never seen anything quite like it Dianne. How about sending the pic to Dowdeswells and seeing if they can shed any light on it?

quane1, Nov 29, 10:09pm
Make sure you collect the seeds, someone may pay you for them.

kiwimade64, Nov 30, 7:23am
wow, that's very pretty! I've never seen anything like it either. I like piquant's idea, you may have a new variety!

kateley, Nov 30, 8:08am
I've never seen one like it, either. But I have spent a happy hour googling double delphiniums and looking at lots of beautiful photos

samanya, Nov 30, 11:40am
I haven't seen a delph like it either . it's gorgeous.

maclad, Nov 30, 4:33pm
Bet you enjoyed that and found lots to put on your wish list. I grow about 70 each year, love them.

piquant, Nov 30, 5:16pm

maclad, Nov 30, 5:30pm
Thanks for that, unfortunately a great big ad jumped up on screen and I could not see the pics as I did not know how to get rid of it, but some of those looked awesome.

piquant, Nov 30, 7:09pm
It was pinterest, Dianne. You could go on and have a look direct. The range appears to be called Highlander series and developed by Ball Hort. We don't see much of their stuff in NZ - mainly Aussie and the states. Do you grow your 70 odd from seed? If so, likely to be a sport that they've seized upon and developed from there. What seed do you use?

maclad, Nov 30, 7:41pm
No, do not grow from seed, too lazy and no where near enough time. Just buy from Zealandia and am happy to take my chances as to what I get as most of them are fine and colours are good. Besides which, I like surprises. Still awaiting to see this years blooms, not much longer to wait now and got some pretty ones so far.

maclad, Dec 2, 11:11am
Found this out
It looks like an offspring from the highlander series of delphiniums. You can see the range below.
http://www.walterblom.nl/Delphinium%20Highlander.pdf

chelseabird, Dec 2, 1:50pm
Oh they are gorgeous.

maclad, Dec 2, 2:28pm
Yes they are and now I have found something else to spend my hard earned money on, sob, sob, lol.

chelseabird, Feb 2, 9:10pm
But think of the rewards maclad.
lol