Peaches

eljayv, Jan 17, 9:32am
Noticed tiny pinhole marks on fruit and on cutting found small grub. Would this be guava moth? How to treat, such a pity with fruit looking so good

dibble35, Jan 17, 12:35pm
yep guava moth can attack plums, peaches, nectarines as well as lots of other types of fruit. Treatment is a bit hard. If you have chickens they are good under the tree for picking up the caterpillar/larvae stage in the soil. You can spread neem granules under the trees. You can spray with neem at the correct time of the year, also can spray conqueror oil or something systemic like confidor but thats pretty nasty stuff and i wouldnt want it on my fruit trees. There are asstd traps you can try. The pheremone traps are more an indicator of when the moths themselves are out and about, they will reduce some of the (male?) population but never get it all. And then if your neighbour has infected trees and doesnt treat them theres really not a lot stopping your fruit getting re infected from themafter all your hard work. I hate this insect and dont think enough is being done to try and get rid of it. I guess it wont be till big commercial orchards are being affected that we get some good eradication options.

mark_g, Jan 17, 7:07pm
I think it's an exceptionally bad season for all the moth infestations in pip & stone fruit. Not in 15 years have I seen it this bad here (Kapiti).

I can vouch for the theory that pheromone traps are a good indicator for moth numbers and showing when the moths are on the go, but do not help to reduce infestation much, if at all. Placement of the trap(s) is important - not too close to the trees you are trying to protect or you are just advertising a target for the moths to come to.

Other things help a little - like growing allium under/around the trees. I hear any allium helps, but I know that broad leaf chives are effective, to a point.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 17, 7:42pm
There's also some talk about using solar powered UV lights to attract the night flying moth - something about filling the lamps with oil and leaving a really small hole so they can enter seeking the light and drown in the oil. Friends of mine are trialing it, could be interesting.

mark_g, Jan 17, 8:02pm
ooh. you have to let us know if there's any progress there. I'm all for a bit of tech in the garden if it's not chemical based.

eljayv, Jan 17, 9:15pm
Ok that might spoil a solution that worked on apple last year. During winter my son lightly watered the soil at base of tree with a solution of jeyes fluid a couple of times.
We will try the other solution which I think was a Wendyls make your own moth trap http://wendyls.co.nz/solar-moth-trap/

friendly_prawn, Jan 19, 12:16am

dibble35, Jan 10, 9:43pm
These light traps are great, but remember you are catching all moths, they arnt going to catch just guava moth. There is a guava moth lure recipe I was given several years ago. The 2 different people i have spoken to swear it works and are still using it. The last lady i spoke to said her infected fruit went from approx 80% infected down to 20%. I tried it a few years ago but wasnt convinced the moths I was catching were guava moths. But heres the recipe, you can try for yourself. May be good to get it up in the lemon trees this time of year. Recipe as follows.
"1 Litre boiling water
1 Teaspoon Vegemite (or marmite)
100 grams sugar (About 2/3 cup)
1 Teaspoon Ammonia
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence.

Dissolve vegemite, sugar and vanilla essence in boiling water.
Add 1 teaspoon ammonia.
Mix, and then divide into four plastic 2 litre milk bottles, with flaps cut on the side so moths can get in, but rain is kept out. Start cutting the flap say 80 mm from bottom and cut flap say 50 mm high, with ‘hinge’ at top.
Tie, using only a short lead, to fruit trees in orchard. A long lead swings about too much in the wind and the fluid escapes. Lasts about a month before it needs replacing
( We find we need to strain the liquid every few days and there is such a build up of moths.) We have noticed that it takes at least 2 evenings before the moths find the traps.)"