Stilh or husqvarna

atlantis3, Oct 12, 8:59pm
Which one makes the best hedge trimmer from your experience?
Stilh has a special for the HS45 trimmer (600mm bar) for $474.
I looked at some reviews and a lot of people have had problems with this model so was thinking maybe Husqvarna instead?
Has any one had experience with these differant models? Good or bad?

pico42, Oct 12, 10:33pm
Both really good brands. So good I would simply be guided by who has the better service agent local to you.

strebo, Oct 13, 3:52pm
I have used two German Metabo models over the last 40 years. The first one kept going until I could not get a replacement for the worn blade. Current model has only done 5 years so far. These are electric powered machines. Have yet to cut the electric flex. Lighter than a petrol equivalent and probably more power than battery-powered models.

lythande1, Oct 14, 7:36am
Stihl. Based on the lawn guys recommendations lately.

electromic, Oct 14, 8:45am
Stihl! My best advice to you is to keep the cutting bar well lubricated. You have a decent length warranty with stihl if you use the new 2 stroke oil at 50:1. Use proper petrol not blended fuel and don't leave it in the machine for too long.

desmodave, Oct 14, 9:23am
http://www.solonz.co.nz/Products/Trimmers-Multi-System-Brushcutters/Hedge-Trimmers/Solo-161

Been happy using Solo chainsaws so would presume their hedge trimmer would be good also .Another bonus is you can deal direct and get consumables at trade prices . Sheeple get so fixated on Husqvarna , and Stihl and forget there are other quality German built power tools Makita included . Unless you are buying pro models you will be getting cheap plastic crap anyway . Plenty of proud Husqvarna owners out there that have no idea what made in PRC means . That's my opinion anyway , it is your money to spend how you like .

desmodave, Oct 14, 9:32am
Warranty's cover what , manufacturing defects and little else . Any defects would show up pretty quickly . Have you ever notice Husqvarna factory reconditioned gear for sale . Either sold with a fault ( and returned to the manufacturer ) or re called before going on sale to the public after finding a problem with the build quality .

smallwoods, Oct 14, 10:04am
If you have to have a petrol one, look at the Honda range.

I have been Husky all my life, just went to a Honda weedeater.
WOW, just wow.

Heaps more torque and longer runs on fuel.
Way less noise and vibration.

serf407, Oct 14, 10:42am
Husqvarna and stihl are usually very high revving machines, take a look at the oleomac, Hitachi and Makita. models.
https://www.makita.co.nz/products/model/HTR5600 is probably closest to the stihl If doing tall hedges the oleomac has a 700mm blade on one model which is a bit longer than most before you need to put a trimmer attachment on a weedeater mutli-tool to go up higher. Some of the stihl multi-tools could be better than the 'hedge trimmer' model so you might get a better run with a stihl combi-tool with hedge trimmer attachment- more power and trimming height etc. http://www.stihl.co.nz/STIHL-Products/CombiSystem/CombiEngines/274719-1592/KM-131-R.aspx (36cc vs 27cc on hedge trimmer)
Similarly with husqvarna look at combo tool machines that is where the r&d budget has been in recent years.

smallwoods, Oct 14, 9:58pm
Honda do a combi set up as well.

tegretol, Oct 16, 11:50pm
Holden or Ford? Same question.

bobwyn, Oct 17, 4:57pm
I think Makita took over Sachs Dolmar a few years ago im still useing a Dolmar 120i chainsw I bought nearly 30years ago but getting hard to get parts for now but. I see Makita do bring out a range of chainsaws has anyone got one I would be interested finding out how the preform .

rsr72, Oct 17, 5:16pm
#1- Stihl. Bought a new 600mm hedge trimmer three years ago for regular cutting of a large hedge and completely happy with it.
Am using Stihl oil, empty fuel out after each use, well-oil the cutter blade, and rinse water over it frequently when using to prevent resin buildup on blade.
The only minor problem is it's a little heavy but one gets used to that.

slimdog, Oct 17, 8:32pm
I reckon a big problem with a question like this is, you get people that have had one brand that has never given them a problem, and then they swear black and blue its the best thing since sliced bread. I was like that, Echo brand gear because it always started, ran, and got the job done. Never used the others but as far as I was concerned Echos the best. But I was asked to get an Oleo Mac weedeator going so the owner could sell it. The things a beast! Light, smooth, speed feed head is great (I used to hate them) I'de never heard of the brand. Now I own it!

peacebird15, Oct 17, 8:45pm
I do alot of hedge trimming, I have 3 husky combi trimmers and a couple echo power pruners with hedge trimmer heads and an echo standard trimmer and somewhere a stihl. I have had a great run with the huskys,

Stihl is generally good, but there cheap stuff is often just that. for the money I would look at echo/shindaiwa, you tend to get more bang for your buck.

alfred011, Oct 20, 10:52pm
Echo the best by far ,like anything you only get what you pay for , depends how much you are going to use it .

timbo69, Mar 2, 2:52am
Stihl. Keep the fuel fresh, use good oil and keep the filter clean.