Not a very good pic-which way is off please

Page 1 / 2
wine-o-clock, Dec 4, 10:09pm

piquant, Dec 4, 10:25pm
Turn clockwise to close, anti-clockwise to open.

woody89, Dec 4, 10:55pm
Looking at pic I would have said clockwise to open, anti clockwise to close. Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty

muppet_slayer, Dec 4, 10:59pm
no need for another pic it is this^^^

happychappy50, Dec 5, 12:27am
Too many wines OP ?

survivalkiwi, Dec 5, 7:06am
Tighty- righty. Lefty- loosy.

lythande1, Dec 5, 7:13am
There is an arrow showing you on it.

Anti-clockwise = off. Or left = off if you prefer.

cinderellagowns, Dec 5, 7:20am
Um no, it's the opposite to that lythande.

wine-o-clock, Dec 5, 9:45am
Its the gas tank, if thats any help. The arrow is <-> (double ended).

let me know if u need another pic

piquant, Dec 5, 10:38am
Yes, and it is pointing to open in one direction and close in the other? What is so difficult about that? But, it seems - it is difficult for so many who seem to be applying the screwdriver or tap principle to gas tanks. Don't you realise they are in reverse?

pauldw, Dec 5, 10:39am
The arrow may be double ended but only one end points towards open or closed.

pauldw, Dec 5, 10:49am
The tap opening/closing is normal "lefty loosey - righty tighty" it is the hose or bottle connection that has a lefthand thread usually marked by a small nick on the corners of the connection nut.

jan2242, Dec 5, 11:02am
Left is loose (on),Right is tight (off), that's how I remember.

wine-o-clock, Dec 5, 11:57am

rose-murray, Dec 5, 12:01pm
Poster #4 had it right.

wine-o-clock, Dec 5, 12:36pm
thats how i am reading it, but there is disagreement in this house

gpg58, Dec 5, 2:11pm
i think best way is to, imagine there is a break in the middle of the double ended arrow, (making it two separate arrows), therefore then, one points towards closing and one to open direction.

cinderellagowns, Dec 5, 2:52pm
How so? You turn anti-clockwise to "open" the flow of gas ie ON. Turn clockwise to "close" the flow of gas ie off. What am I missing? (Genuine question piquant, you always have knowledgeable posts on here. Just can't follow this one.)

cinderellagowns, Dec 5, 2:54pm
Oh wait, you do agree with me in post 2. I've obviously misinterpreted the other post I quoted.

wembley1, Dec 5, 3:10pm
The hand-wheel on the valve (the tap) is clockwise for off or closed and anticlockwise for on or open.

Where people may be getting confused is the actual gas connection below the hand-wheel. The POL connection has a "backwards" or left-handed thread. You screw the POL bullnose in anticlockwise.

snoopy221, Dec 5, 3:16pm
mmmmmmmmm Yeah Nah standard tap one way to open the other way to close.
Settle the disagreement SIMPLY=Whoever claims off is not off telll em to turn off then jump in shower. LOL

piquant, Dec 5, 3:34pm
This is one of those posts that the longer it goes on - the more people get confused! Go and have a cup of tea and forget all about it! It's too hot and brains are getting addled!

kevymtnz, Dec 5, 4:26pm
always to right to close

starseeker, Dec 5, 4:57pm
It seems to me that one can tell which way is which by the feel of it as you turn it slowly,

pauldw, Dec 5, 9:01pm
The tap tightens up either way. The BBQ isn't fooled and only goes when the valve is open. When I shut our bottle off I put a plastic cap over the tap which is short hand for "Already off don't touch" to the locally confused.