Cheapest fencing--advise please

shirley229, Dec 19, 8:07am
Has to be tall and solid. Had thought of painted ply panels.

favouriteseller, Dec 19, 8:28am
seen a corruagated iron fence with pillers to break up the flow
was painted a nice grey colour
actually looked very nice

mrgts4, Dec 19, 8:44am
As above, corrogated iron set into frames like you would trellis. You could use 1.8m sheets vertically which you could get cheaply from a roofing supplier.

shirley229, Dec 20, 7:47am
Thanks for ideas but where the hell does one get used iron these days.---Scarse as hens teeth. It would be too costly to use new so who is replacing their roof please.

aredwood, Dec 20, 8:07am
Ring up some roofing companies and ask them if you can swap some old sheets off a house they are reroofing for a box of beers. Otherwise ring the local scrap metal dealer and ask if anyone has dropped off any roofing iron. The buy price for steel is calculated by the ton. Therefore they won't charge you much to buy some from them.

shirley229, Dec 20, 8:27am
Thanksaredwood---Have rung all scrap dealers here but no luck. Will try the roofing companies tomorrow.

morrisjvan, Dec 20, 9:05am
run the sheets horizontaly then you will only need posts no rails.

branpy, Dec 20, 9:12am
What do people usually do with old roofing if putting a new roof on themselves!

shirley229, Dec 20, 9:32am
Hi branpy---I think they stick it behind the garage and forget its there.

branpy, Dec 20, 9:40am
Haha they probably do "might come in handy one day" but I have a small section no room to do that.

pestri, Dec 20, 8:29pm
Ha. advertiseda house lot a year or so back. no replies., I dont think there isa big demand for it.

mrgts4, Dec 21, 3:45am
There is certainly demand for it. Sold approx 16 sheets a couple of months ago for nearly $300. I have some more to list but won't be until after the 7th

zak410, Dec 21, 4:23am
You could try to contact Onduline to check for price, its an "Organic corrugated' often used on fences and has got good sound proprieties.

http://www.gbsgroup.co.nz/onduline.php

But remember that a continuous solid fence without gaps for the wind to pass through, will require very strong posts.

Also, how much privacy do you want from the fence! more than pickets, for example!

astroflight1, Dec 21, 4:30am
Don't forget, if it is a common boundary with a neighbour and the new fence is needed, your neighbour is responsible for half of the full costs.If you are unaware of this, then it will allow you to build a more expensive structure than you have previously considered.Just follow the correct protocol.
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/legal/legal-other-pimsfencing.php

Also, if you just go ahead and the neighbour does not like it, they can get an order for it's destruction on the grounds that there was no agreement in writing.

Even if you want to pay for all of it, and the neighbour agrees and lets you do that, AND they do not care what it is made of and what it looks like, you should still have their agreement in writing for your own protection.If they change their minds in a year you will be very much out of pocket.

astroflight1, Dec 23, 6:55pm
I saw some at Trash Palace (Porirua CC recycle) yesterday.Bet it's gone now though.People do use it.