Logfire top baffle plate broken. Material is ?

solarboy, Apr 16, 10:54pm
My Magnum P100 logfire baffle plate is irrepairably broken and the similar material ( but thinner ) side pieces are also broken. Google tells me it's likely ceramic or cement fibreboard. I plan on making some replacements but unsure what the best plan is - obviously don't want a 2400 by 1200 sheet. Have plenty of Hardieplank around but don't know if that would work ? Saw 6mm steel sheet mentioned as an alternative but don't fancy hacksawing that to size !

loud_37, Apr 16, 11:10pm
They are a consumable part, I only paid $30 for a full new set.

pauldw, Apr 17, 12:09am
The "Promet" ceramic fibre board is not the same as fibre cement. Hardies won't work.

happychappy50, Apr 17, 6:32am
I have used 6 mm hardies & worked well when the firebricks broke,lasted 2 winters before I replaced them.

blueviking, Apr 17, 6:46am
Baffles are normally made out of steel plate. I just renewed mine after 20yrs. Cost 160 though.Kent.

happychappy50, Apr 17, 8:53am
Op, I have a magnum,try contacting them if they have a replacement top baffle plate,in regard to the sides,as I stated previously have used 6 mm hardies,it works well as I always have plenty of off cuts

solarboy, Apr 17, 1:06pm
Thanks for all the responses folks, gives some good choices. Looks like these fires are still about so I'll start by looking for a local agent. I have plenty of offcuts too happychappy50, been storing them since I built the house and installed the fire 25 years ago - hate throwing away something that may be useful one day. Loud37, was that for Magnum parts and recently ? pauldw - I have a part sheet of something quite similar to what's in the fire but had it's source and identity is unknown so I may test it with some heat outside in case it burns - if not it should work for me. Thanks again all.

pauldw, Apr 17, 1:47pm
If you are going to try Hardies and know that it's recent enough to be asbestos free, make sure it's bone dry. Any trapped moisture turns to steam and causes the sheet to explode.

loud_37, Apr 17, 8:37pm
There's a trader on here FOZMEX they can make them to any size.

solarboy, Apr 17, 9:10pm
My Hardies is all left over from my kitset house build in '93. Do you know if that would be asbestos free ? I have no idea but had no warning at the time I built so some dust around from drilling and cutting. Ta for the heads up re damp/exploding though !

solarboy, Apr 17, 9:16pm
Noted thanks. I'll check out local sources first but will keep him in mind.

budgel, Apr 18, 9:52am
My Metro has thin firebricks which generally only last a season then break.

I have measured new ones, then made a simple mold with battens screwed to a ply backing and cast my own by mixing pre-mixed bagged concrete with perlite. They last as long as the expensive originals.

The baffle plate in my woodfire is steel with several layers of the fibre board at the front, and is somewhat fragile. I replaced the built up layer with a length of rectangular section steel tubing and it has lasted way longer than the original did.

regy_2005, Apr 19, 10:35am
If youre going to use Hardies, before using leave on top of youre burner overnight to give good dry out

beebs, Nov 23, 11:00am
http://www.firesparesnz.com/

these guys are really good to deal with, knowledgeable and quick delivery - we used them last winter