Carp in Rural ponds

rusty-bones, Dec 1, 7:57pm
I was told having these will clean up your pond. Has anyone done this? Pond's not attached to anything, but some visiting cows make it look a mess.

golfdiver, Dec 1, 8:08pm
Only if you want the ecosystem destroyed

rusty-bones, Dec 1, 8:11pm
Can you explain golfdiver, so I can make an informed decision. I would not want to do something not good.

wenpen, Dec 1, 8:19pm
Koi carp are not allowed, I think the bronze carp is just as bad they compete and control the environment eating everything and turn ponds to silt after they destroy all forms of life.
https://www.nzgeo.com/stories/the-war-on-koi/

I think you are better to fence the pond to keep the cows out and plant the margins to encourage wildlife, planting will help the eco system of the pond as will digging it out to a sufficient depth (2 meters plus) so it becomes self cleaning (cool water on the bottom, warm water on the top).

rusty-bones, Dec 1, 8:27pm
Thanks wenpen I am going to do some reading. The ponds quite big and very deep. Planting sounds good and I have asked the neighbours not to use this paddock in winter when they made the mess, theres only 5 cows. There are some frogs down there and love hearing them at night.

wenpen, Dec 1, 8:38pm
Here is part of my pond it is very big several hundred meters long, my house overlooks the pond. These photos are taken a couple of years ago just after I dug it out and planted it up, it is a very old oxbow pond that had silted over and was only 50cm deep, it's now 2 meters plus deep. I was going to say buy some tadpoles and morph them to frogs to release but you have them already! Chances are you may have a native fish in the pond already, it's a little minnow and found in most ponds quite shy and not easy to spot, I have lots of them. Notice how I have planted to the edge of the pond, this is to keep out the stinking ducks, they dont like growth to the water margin as predators may be lurking. I get shags mainly, lesser and greater, they eats the eels.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/686417012.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/686417115.jpg

mojo49, Dec 1, 8:41pm
A bit of research should identify some native species that will do the same job. They might be a bit hard to find but well worth the effort and the satisfaction of knowing you are doing the right thing by the environment.

starseeker, Dec 1, 8:54pm
Carp will eat frog spawn & tadpoles

rusty-bones, Dec 1, 9:15pm
Oh that's lovely wenpen. Thee cows would wreck that though. I'm really thinking about not letting the cows in that paddock. We only moved here a year and a half ago, and the neighbour asked if the cows could go in to keep the grass down. We weren't sure what we were doing with it so agreed. As much as I love them, they do make a mess, and we wouldn't know how to keep the grass down anyway. Why don't you like the ducks in your pond?
Thanks mojo49, I would have hated that, glad I asked.

golfdiver, Dec 1, 9:26pm
Great work wenpen. I’ve also heard about solar powered water paddle wheels that keep the water moving to help the ecosystem

strathview, Dec 1, 10:12pm
Lovely carex secta around the edge of your pond. Once the ducks find your pond they will pop in for a visit if the water is nice and clean. This pond will never be a feeding pond for ducks as it is too deep and I doubt there will ever be ducklings for the same reason.' Keep in mind that the more planting around a pond the more pest control has to be done as rats and bunnies love lots of cover to live in.

wenpen, Dec 2, 12:32am
Before the pond was dug out it was a quagmire full of ducks, they stink and shit everywhere. I didn't want many ducks because I want to promote the frogs and have tubs in the carex for them to spawn in. A chap from ducks unlimited told me about planting the edge to detour ducks, works well. But yes I kill a lot of water rats also because of my location to the Manawatu river. Also helps if there is an inlet of water, my pond fills with localised stormwater and keeps clean.

ira78, Dec 6, 8:55am
Koi are illegal, as mentioned. But you can get Grass Carp from breeders and they do a great job of weeding if you've got invasive plants. Father in law put about 10 in his pond that was absolutely choked with oxygen weed. Took them a year or so to grow a bit then the next year they cleared it up nicely.

oh_hunnihunni, Jan 31, 11:17am
Carp dirty up ponds, I'd opt for natives if you can.