Solitary bee cocoons

happyrats, Apr 17, 11:42am
Hi all

Last year we bought our first Leafcutter bee cocoons and we're now checking and cleaning out their house.

Is anyone able to please tell me, from the photo link, whether these cocoons are more likely to be mason bees? As they are set between the mason bee 'cement'. If so are the mason bees as good as leafcutter bees for pollination and for staying within a certain area close to where we want pollination?

Photo is here: https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/771323302.jpg

Also, do we just get rid of the other stuff in the photo - I presume this is just the leafcutter bees' nesting materials and we can get rid of it now?

Thanks in advance :-)

sunnysue1, Apr 17, 1:53pm
I had no idea what you were talking about so went to Wikipedia on google.They have pictures of your cocoons and the articles may help with your questions. Quite fascinating.

flier3, Apr 17, 2:14pm
What a fascinating subject! Thanks for posting, however, I have no idea what made the cocoons, sorry. Have just spent a very pleasant half hour finding out about leafcutter bees.

happyrats, Apr 17, 2:20pm
Thanks Sunnysue and Flier, I've since answered my own questions :-)
We use these little guys to pollinate our avocado trees since they stay close to their little house (we built it ourselves), and we've got it set up right next to the avo trees.
I've just harvested the cocoons and we have 75 viable cocoons from our initial investment last year of 50 cocoons. :-)
Happy happy happy!

flier3, Apr 17, 2:27pm
For what it's worth, I think the cocoons on the right are mason bees with the walls between each one made of mud. The one on the left, I think are made by leafcutter bees. Still reading up about them .
https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=what+do+mason+bee+cocoons+look+like&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=tYi6yHLcODhEpM%253A%252C4UmhPB_wacU3QM%252C_&usg=__VEhPkh8VNrJU25coSIhZL1WAp3I%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU7-7WoMDaAhUKx7wKHRaXCKgQ9QEINTAG#imgrc=tYi6yHLcODhEpM:

happyrats, Apr 17, 2:31pm
Thanks Flier, you're exactly correct. Those long leafy strips are a series of linked up leafcutter cocoons which can be separated :-)

flier3, Nov 24, 9:54am
Oh, how exciting for you! I've got enthused about them now - thanks for posting!