Whiteflt!

mapalamb, Apr 21, 12:58pm
Does anyone know how to eliminate this pest without destroying ladybus and other desirable insects? Have managed to keep them down with sud's from the washing machine but the effect has dropped to be almost ineffectual. A real nuciance in the glasshouse and are now quite prevelant in the open garden

mapalamb, Apr 21, 1:01pm
Should be "Whitefly" !

dibble35, Apr 21, 3:42pm
You can use those yellow sticky traps on whitefly

maclad, Apr 21, 5:03pm
Well if you are not opposed to insecticides and fairly serious ones, you could use a systemic insecticide. Systemics get into the plant which then has to be chewed for the insecticide to work. They do not work on contact so non chewing pests are safe. Oil is a good spray to use in combination but will kill beneficial insects on contact. Bit of a tough one as whitefly is hard to get rid of totally.

gabbysnana, Apr 21, 6:49pm
By the organic whitefly spray, garlic. Make up solution of dushwashing lquid as a spray and go for it.

maclad, Apr 21, 7:08pm
And this, if it works, will not kill beneficial insects. Systemics are not so bad, try google search for more info.

mapalamb, Apr 22, 10:01am
As in "Fly tapes"? Never considered those. Thanks

dibble35, Apr 22, 1:06pm
No not fly tapes, these are a bright yellow, with a sticky covering the whitefly are attracted to the colour and then get stuck. We have them at my work and i think you should be able to get them at bunnings, M10 etc in the gardening hard goods section.

smallwoods, Apr 22, 2:26pm
Are ladybus different to manbus?

mapalamb, Apr 24, 7:35am
Very different. They have curtains

mapalamb, Apr 24, 7:37am
My typing skills have not improved

harm_less, Nov 21, 2:43pm
Systemic insecticides when consumed by the problem insect (sucking or chewing) will then be present in those insects which could well then be consumed by beneficial insects (or birds). And of course any beneficial insects that are contacted by the spray during application will be adversely affected, including bees.