Aquadeck - yes or no?

socram, Jan 28, 8:04pm
I used it on our plain cedar cladding and it has been fantastic.

Waterblasted the 1992 cedar first, which had been oiled with CD50 a few times, and it still looks like brand new, 5 or 6 years later.

However, on a new kwila deck, leading to the front door, so with a bit of minor foot traffic only, but exposed to the weather, it looks terrible after a couple of years. Now sanding it off (slow job with an orbital hand sander) and going back to oil. I'd rather slap on another coat of oil every year or two than put up with the patchy look.

Anyone else unhappy with it on a deck?

rednicnz, Jan 28, 8:48pm
Ours has scraped off a bit on the edges but is generally looking pretty good. I liked Aquadeck because we could use the deck and open the french doors that lead onto it pretty much immediately. The oil stuff stank for weeks and made the whole area unusable.

Edited to add, we have pine decking.

happychappy50, Jan 28, 9:30pm
I have used boiled linseed oil & turps for yrs,recently put a small deck (pine) had 2 coats no cracks in this weather we have been experiencing over the past 2 weeks,been down for 2 weeks now & had 2 coats . 1 part linseed- 10 parts turps,no stripping off before you redcoats like many preparations that are available.Turps carries the oil into the timber & also repels water bit like moisturiser on the skin.

socram, Jan 28, 9:44pm
The oil on the new rear decking (kwila again) is fine. No need to do it all in one go so that you can still walk on it. It gets absorbed within a day or so anyway and the oil smell isn't exactly unpleasant and is gone in a couple of days.

Not sure of the cost of linseed oil/turps, but I have used standard, untinted CD50 successfully on the kwila and it looks fantastic and I've been giving it another coat a year later - obviously no stripping required, which is the bonus of oils.

I have also used CD50 on new interior Rimu window frames and other bare Rimu. Not cheap, but a great finish and easy to apply. Rimu is far too nice a wood to be painted! Pity it is no longer easily available new, not even the veneered MDF trims.

pauldw, Jan 28, 9:57pm
Compared with commercial decking oil linseed oil is supposedly more prone to mildewing and UV damage. Have you had any problems?

happychappy50, Jan 28, 10:02pm
Cost of turps /linseed $34.00 per 5 litres which is very cost effective compared to other concoctions,the oil is the main ingredient that works to protect the timber,cedar is a naturally an oily timber,that’s why it is suited to exterior use,can take a beating with our high uv rays,pine is a bit soft & not so forgiving.Last house my parents built had cedar gable ends,I persuaded Dad to use linseed/turps,he continued with it after seeing the results.Its a bit messy as it’s pretty thin.

happychappy50, Jan 5, 6:51am
No problems,this is why I have kept the linseed content down,mainly because of preventing mildew issues.