Looking for scrap newspapers

jmnug2, Apr 3, 2:09pm
Hi all,

I'm looking for a large stack of old newspapers to use in my garden, I put them under the pea-straw mulch to suppress weeds. Any leads for a large pile of newspaper in Chch, preferably around Ilam would be much appreciated.

- J

jills3, Apr 3, 3:33pm
i needed heaps of old newspapers, as my friend was packing up and shifting his antique shop. Just go into any dairy and ask for them, they are more than happy to give them to anyone, rather than loading up their waste bin.

jmnug2, Apr 3, 3:45pm
Legend, thanks for the tip. I tried the library but they have some restrictive policy and can't hand them out. Will try the dairy tonight.

- J

articferrit, Apr 3, 4:37pm
join 'neighbourly' (look it up on the internet if you dont know about it) and ask for newspapers on there.

blueviking, Apr 3, 5:07pm
Try your local Retirement village. A lot of people still get the herald delivered and they're put in a paper bin. Go and ask if you can take some.Especially on a Monday after the weekend & Sunday herald are thrown out.

gilligee, Apr 3, 5:24pm
Local recycling at the tip.

junie2, Apr 3, 5:36pm
Also try The Press.?

flier3, Apr 4, 8:12am
Also try petrol stations

jan2242, Apr 4, 8:38am
Ask the supermarkets, they will have lots plus cardboard. I took all our local four square's when I did mine. They would drop it all off on their way home was great.

floydandu2, Apr 4, 3:29pm
Does cardboard work just as well to suppress weeds? I have been thinking about the large quantity I have available to me at work.

flier3, Apr 4, 6:18pm
I sure hope cardboard works because I'm laying it down and putting bark nuggests on top. Sprayed the dreaded onion weed several times with considerable success, so down goes the cardboard on the earth around my plants. I have my fingers crossed.
Edited to add: Just Googled cardboard as a weed suppressant and all good!

floydandu2, Apr 5, 9:17am
Good to here that flier3. I have onion weed, bluebells and wandering jew I have to deal to. Thinking of digging out the soil, putting down a layer of cardboard, then sieving the soil back before another layer of cardboard and then mulch. I have a huge, old garden that needs to be reined in. I don't have enough time in the week to keep on top of it!

flier3, Apr 5, 9:24am
And well I know that feeling of overwhelmness! I also have a huge garden with many gardens, lots of trees and shrubs, heaps of onion weed and wandering jew plus cabbage trees, which the birds love. For me it's a slowly, slowly game. I like the sound of your plan. Good luck!

junie2, Nov 29, 8:43am
I find underfelt and carpet even better than papers and cardboard. I pick it up super cheap at the dump shops. In the early days I used nylon carpet, but that's not a good idea - use wool or jute. Still doesn't last forever, but longer than paper and board.