Hessian sacks

jmnug2, Apr 4, 3:07pm
Hi all,

Another quick question, I'm after a bunch of hessian sacks for use in the garden. I'm not too keen on paying for them and there must be some coffee shops that chuck them out but the ones I've tried want to charge me for them. Any ideas where I could find a free supply?

Cheers,
Jack

strathview, Apr 4, 5:00pm
Of course they will charge you for them as they are very hard to get. Believe it or not but what you think is worthless can be quite valuable to others. Just purchased some a few months back off Trade Me. Money well spent.

alleycatz, Apr 4, 5:54pm
the thing is they dont 'chuck them out"

they are a wanted byproduct so they become saleable.

cameron-albany, Apr 8, 11:04am
You need to shop around but you won't get them for free! Also you need to go to the roasters, not the coffee shops as they won't have sacks unless they roast their own beans. As others have said above, people want them so they aren't just dumped. Crafty people turn them into useful things like dog beds, foot stools and cushion covers.
I've got mine for as little as $2 a piece (cheapest I've found in Auckland) and the roaster donates the money to Starship.
I also use them for the garden (weed matting, wind breaks and to put produce on to dry out). Very useful. But not free :-)

franny8, Apr 15, 12:00am
Mmmm, I can't help but wonder why anyone would think they are entitled to free stuff. If I want something I buy it.

stevo2, Apr 15, 6:42am
I use one of these. https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/tui-garden-waste-bag/p/221640
Had it for about 8 years so far. Its brilliant.

mrcat1, Apr 15, 9:05am
Farmlands Sells them, they aren't expensive at all.

grrrahaaam, Apr 15, 10:04am
Market gardeners use them for picking up hand harvested onions etc. Must be readily available.

pamols, Apr 15, 7:37pm
Newton’s sell them. From memory have 2 sizes and not overly expensive.

thisles5, Nov 25, 6:40pm
indian ?