Excess jam what to do

maclad, Apr 5, 5:42pm
Preferably I would like to use it to make lunches for grandies which, perhaps, may be a little bit different. I have lots and do not really want to throw it away but do not really want to do the toast and jam thing either.

maclad, Apr 5, 5:49pm
I do not have a dehydrator

fendie, Apr 5, 6:12pm
I'm not sure if you have jam or the fruit for making jam. In Christchurch the City Mission gives meals to anyone staying overnight in the shelter, well i think they do. they always welcome any food donations.

nzmax, Apr 5, 6:28pm
If you have room, stick it in the freezer. We used to buy 2 kg buckets of jam years ago and kept the bucket in the freezer, and scooped out enough to last a few days/week etc.

maclad, Apr 5, 6:42pm
Sounds feasible, thanks

samanya, Apr 5, 7:54pm
A dehydrator, even if you had one, would make it sickly sweet, imo.
They condense/intensify the flavours.

yourcreator, Apr 6, 5:49am
Make up dough as for shortbread. Make circular shapes with a dip in the middle, fill the dip with jam and bake as usual. My kids love this.

lythande1, Apr 6, 8:03am
Donate it to a foodbank

ira78, Apr 6, 8:27am
PB&J sandwiches for every meal for the next month.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 6, 8:53am
Here in Jaffatown we have a group who collect fruit and excess preserves and distribute it among food banks and charity housing organisations. There must be a similar outfit near you who'd be delighted to take your delicious gifts! I know I had no problems giving away my honey when I had too much for my own needs, it was lovely to be able to share.

jan2242, Apr 6, 9:19am
Donate it, or turn it into chutney?

nzmax, Apr 6, 11:11am
known as dunny seat biscuits in our family lol.

crazynana, Apr 6, 12:05pm
It keeps for ages in the freezer and it doesn't freeze solid so it is easy to take out what you need to use and it means you can have nice jam all year round.

dbab, Apr 6, 4:05pm
Jam muffins are nice too.

strowan1, Apr 7, 4:55pm
Give it to a food bank in your area, you’d find they would be extremely grateful.

maclad, Nov 28, 9:02pm
Can't give to food bank as opened jars. You know what kids are like. open a jar, two serves out of it and open the next one. Hence many part jars of good jam. i will freeze them and use for the suggestions made thanks everyone. I had no idea jam could be used for many of these suggestions.Too mean to waste it, but I won't buy anymore for them to open and not use