Bumble bee nesting box

datoofairy, Dec 1, 12:28pm
I have seen an ad in the paper that a local garden center is selling Bumble Bee Nesting Boxes, that come with a queen bee and 80 worker bees.
I have absolutely no garden at all. The only plants growing on my property is grass and daisies in the grass.
I really want one of these nesting boxes, as I love bumble bees. If I got one, would they stay in the box or would they all leave and make a new nest somewhere with more plants?

woody89, Dec 1, 12:44pm
Are there flowering plants nearby in other properties? Presume if they didn't travel too far for food they'd come back to your place. Quite a lot of info on line, perhaps study up a bit? Got me thinking now.

lythande1, Dec 1, 2:45pm
They would leave.
You can't starve them.

Plus see this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1385669/Why-trendy-bumblebee-nest-boxes-really-waste-time.html And:
http://www.organicpathways.co.nz/business/story/129.html

Bumblebees rely almost entirely on flowering plants for food and their very existence is dependent on gaining adequate supplies of nectar and pollen, or `bee bread.’ Flowers must be visited frequently with pollen supplying the proteins, while nectar provides the sugar necessary for energy.

"The major reason populations are not larger is they don’t always have blooming plants to forage upon, combined with the lack of suitable nesting sites where the fertilised queen can establish a new colony," says Barry Donovan.

Nests

Unlike honey bee colonies, those of bumblebees do not survive from year to year - they are established quite independently each spring by the new generation of bumblebee queens reared during the previous summer. These queens survive the winter by hibernating in the ground, venturing forth from about September when awakened by warm spring days. As soon as they emerge, it is important they find a source of nectar, as inability to find adequate nourishment can drastically reduce field bumblebee populations.

"Commercial orchards or market gardens presently are not good places to find bumblebees because they require this continuity of bloom, right from early spring to the end of summer. Orchards and market gardens are often monocultures - once the crop’s flowering period has finished, no other flowers bloom, as growers often spray or mow the pasture under the trees."

"Providing continuous food sources is a sure way to attract queens, to provide for her workers and maintain higher populations. The home gardener can plant up areas surrounding the garden or orchard with a wide range of flowering plants, shrubs and trees. Colonies with plenty of food produce around twice as many new queens and 50% more males, although these plantings may be dictated by the location."

To encourage bumblebee numbers long-term, the flowering plants in the area should be evaluated and any gaps filled with suitable plants.

maclad, Dec 1, 4:19pm
I looked into the same thing a while back and I was told bumble bees only stay in the box about 6 weeks and are unlikely to use it again. They are actually very particular about hygiene and where they live. Wanted to do it for the grandies but felt the time was too short.

tweake, Dec 1, 5:39pm
afaik they only stay a short time. typically they are delivered when the crop requires pollination and then the empty box is sent back after its all done.

datoofairy, Dec 1, 5:39pm
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like not such a good investment after all.

maclad, Dec 1, 6:04pm
I think so too. for $600 you can hire a beehive which is totally taken care of by the people who hire them out. You get all the honey and the benefits of bees, not to mention helping a somewhat endangered/compromised, very, very necessary/important/beneficial-
insect.
Do not get me wrong, I love the bumbles.

wenpen, Dec 1, 8:07pm
I had a bumble bee box back in the 90's had them for a year and a bit, the thing is not to move or disturb the box, I also feed them sugar water daily so they didn't go hungry and look for accommodation elsewhere. In the end I think the queen died and the others flew away. They smell lovely like candy floss. Can I ask what shop is advertising them.

hayster94, Dec 1, 10:41pm

rose-murray, Dec 3, 2:53pm
Why not put some herbs in pots to attract them. I don't have much of a garden any more (can't physically do it any more) but I planted some sage and rosemary in pots (you could also grow lavender) and I get heaps of bumble bees. They particularly like blue and purple flowers.

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 3, 5:44pm
My hives have been in place for a couple of weeks now, and I am loving watching them in the garden, and hearing them hum. Best birthday present ever, I totally recommend hiring a hive or two. All the joy, none of the worry.

And I've noticed heaps of bumbles around too - must be appreciating my plantings!

holly-rocks, Dec 4, 1:21pm
Just out of curiosity, is $600 for the year? Or just the fee you pay?

I am a bee keeper but I give my swarms / nuc hives away for free. Both go at about$400 - $600 each (in my area) . I know bee set ups and upkeep is expensive and not everyone can afford it, Just happy to pass them on to a keen bee keeper.

Thats awesome you get all the honey too, do they spin it for you? Or is it comb :)

holly-rocks, Dec 4, 1:29pm
Thats super cool you're getting such enjoying out of them :) I remember when i first got our hives, i would spend hours watching my girls come and go. They are such industrious little things

Getting your first frame of honey too, now thats something to celebrate :)

holly-rocks, Feb 2, 8:08am
My fathers partner had a bumblebee hive, she had it mounted to her window somehow, and the back was glass so you could see inside the hive.

OP they do need flowers to survive, do you neighbors have gardens?