Tilers please:/

qugene, Dec 12, 6:20am
If I rip up the vinly from a concrete floor, do I have to remove the sticky glue that is left behind before I start tiling. If so, whats the best method to do this. Thanks.

lazeeboy, Dec 12, 7:43am
1st question - Is the vinyl well stuck down and not lifting anywhere!I've used Monoflex over very well adhered vinyl on cement over 5 years ago and it's still fine today. If you must remove the vinyl because its lifting, try a test patch overnightin a corner or such and try scraping it off in the morning, see how well the glue sticks - which I've also done in the past with good results. You wont need much to know.

qugene, Dec 12, 9:19am
Vinly is now up after a few hours hard labour.My nails are ruined!. Now how do I deal with that sticky adhevise which is still on my floor!

nitronz, Dec 12, 3:56pm
use a linbide scraper to scrape it off. there are other ways but this is the least stinky and least expensive way of doing it

tiles, Dec 13, 5:38am
yip,easiest way

louisen, Dec 13, 6:19am
you'll find that construction chemicals who manufacture monoflex won't warranty the product for the situation you have used monoflex.tilers mate brand do a really good solid scraper for removing vinyl and cork tiles - super cheap in cost too.good stuff

qugene, Dec 13, 8:38am
Getting back to my question.Do I really have to remove the glue that is still stuck to the floor or can I apply the tiling adhesive right on top!

lazeeboy, Dec 13, 6:34pm

(3) Hire a floor grinder and resurface the entire floor.

cwnda, Dec 14, 1:23am
If you go back to the old adage that '. the quality of a job is dependant on the quality of the preparation.' (3) is probably the best advice.

lazeeboy, Dec 14, 3:56am
Where is the like button!

cwnda, Dec 15, 10:50am
Aaah! Great minds think alike.

sanders4, Dec 15, 6:16pm
lazeeboy is correct, my 21 years tiling has seen more than 100 floors laid on vinyl, plus more than 80 tile over tile and never 1 failure, so listen to the MAN

budgel, Dec 15, 8:39pm
I remember seeing someone in America using dry ice to freeze the glue so it would come off in chunks.Doesnt sound like a practical solution though does it!

louisen, Dec 20, 11:30am
if thats a dig at me then i'm a male using the wife's account.

lazeeboy, Dec 22, 6:44pm
I assumed it was a reference to the fact that I have a clue about the question,and Sanders4 agreed with my answer, he also has a clue - if you read his other posts ( and I know you have, as you have quoted and agreed with him in the past) You will see he has about 2. 1/2 times my experience at least in the same industry.

My bet is he, like myself is an installer. Not a sales rep in a tile shop (or similar) somewhere up north.

You've been seen to contradict your own advice, I wonder if you have anything to say about that !