Locked deadbolt

goodcleanfun, Nov 24, 2:05pm
Hi, I've got a deadbolt (the style where you see the bolt and slide it into a hole in the door frame). I've never had a key for it - but it has managed to lock itself. I can't see any screws or anything - any idea on how I can remove it without a locksmith?

trade_menow, Nov 24, 2:17pm
the screws are in the lock frame - the bolt that slides throu it covers the screws with the idea that it makes it difficult for any tom dick or harry to get into it - you'd really be better off getting in a locksmith to open it for you

docsportello, Nov 24, 2:17pm
drill the centre out of the keyhole with increasingly larger drill bits till all the springs and keys fall out. Then turn it with a screw driver. If you do it carefully you can replace the keyed part and reuse the lock.

budgel, Nov 24, 6:06pm
If it is like those used on ranchsliders, they often have a neatly fitting cover that can be prised off exposing the fastenings which can be ground off with a dremel or similar.

macman26, Nov 24, 6:48pm
Put up a picture. I’m guessing it’s an older style. If so a pointy knife may push it back. Also often was a limited choice of keys. Taking a picture of it to a locksmith may be all that’s needed. If a newer style may need to do as above and drill it out

supernova2, Nov 26, 10:50am
https://www.yalelock.co.nz/en/yale/yale-nz/products/additional-door-security/patiobolt/

If its that type of thing go on the site and have a look at the instal instructions then you will see how to take it off. Older version had slightly different cover but the principle is the same.

floydandu2, Nov 30, 10:21am
You can prise the screw covers out, but you still need to unlock it before you can access the screw. I just bought a house with these on the ranchsliders. and no keys! Mum brought around her tin of keys, and quite by chance, found a key that fit. Relief all round.

onl_148, Nov 30, 12:23pm
A lot of locks, especially the common types / makes, have a limited number of different keys. have a look on the barrel of the lock for some numbers or letters. call into your local locksmith shop and tell them the make and these magic numbers and they will be able to advise. that is tell if they can open it for you, just by fronting up with their "bunch of keys" or if it needs to be picked or dismantled.

supernova2, Feb 4, 3:49pm
So true. Forgot that the pin will be covering the screws. Doh!