Surefix screws

supernova2, Nov 19, 10:08am
Tried to buy some 8G surefix screws in square drive.
Neither Bunnings nor M10 stock them any more.

What's everyone useing instead or where do you buy them from now?

zoopa, Nov 19, 10:10am
Multidrive. Blacks Fasteners

docsportello, Nov 19, 10:14am
Robertson, that’s what “squaredrive” are actually called.

This has been an interesting factoid from the Trivial Information Party.

fast4motion, Nov 19, 10:40am
This. I find multidrive far better than square drive screws when using a square drive bit. Bunnings have EDL branded ones.

supernova2, Nov 19, 11:04am
No EDL in our Bunnings now - it's just about all Zenith or some new thing called OXbuild with a smattering of Buildex.
And to top it off most is now Phillips drive for goodness sake.

I'd be happy with the Multidrive (which Bunnings used to have) or at a pinch Pozidriv (SupaDriv) but Phillips - they must be joking!

Oh and yes they should be Robertson but even EDL on their website call them square drive which technically is a different thing again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

blans, Nov 19, 12:18pm
Superscrews.co.nz

zoopa, Nov 19, 1:21pm
Bugger. Guess they are buying from overseas suppliers? From all the you tube vids I watch, it would seem that the US don't know what a square drive is, only have phillips for general screws, unless they go to what the call 'decking screws', with the hex heads. This is for furniture making and general woodworking use etc. Someone should send them some Mulits. My first choice every time for most of my cabinetry needs.

I thought the EDL multis were out of stock at Bunnings, but I gues they are now not in stock at all. Anyhow, I went to Blacks because I got 500 of what I wanted for $17, not 100 for $10 at Bunnings.

golfdiver, Nov 19, 7:37pm
Oh I see the nark has been on the 0900 number again. Geez, get a bloody life

calz14, Nov 19, 8:52pm
I buy mine off here. A few suppliers on here. Half the price of bunnings or m10.

nzjay, Nov 20, 12:25am
An interesting story about Robertson and his square drive. My understanding was that Henry Ford was impressed with them and used them on his early assembly lines. I know Model A Fords use them. Ford like to control every part of his production and so bought the patents off Robertson. They were therefor unable to be produced and sold until the patents 'ran out' after 50yrs. around the late '70's.? I'm not sure just how true that all is, but was what I was told when a distributor was showing them to me when they first came to NZ in the late '80's. I still have that original Robertson branded screwdriver. I think they have always been available in Canada, but the USA was a closed deal while Ford held the Patents. I seem to recall that Robertson died a pauper.

nzjay, Nov 20, 12:42am
Looks like my impression of the history of Robertson was a little off. but certainly Ford was a reason the concept was not marketed in the USA.
And he wasn't a pauper either!
http://www.robertsonscrew.com/history.html

zoopa, Nov 22, 11:52am
Went into Blacks today to get some 8g x 2 1/5, got told they were $50. Whhhhaaaattt? ! They were about $23 a year ago. He tried to sell me squares or Posi's. No thanks. He said they going out of the mutltis, and couldn't explain why. Im guessing because they doubled the price.

The 8x 1/12 were around 17 for 500 last week.

onl_148, Feb 9, 1:46am
Sparkies tend to use Robertson screws for mounting flush boxes etc. so your local electrical wholesaler will have them.