Can anyone tell me.

mechnificent, Oct 22, 2:01pm
what this is called.
I've had a look online and there are similar things but without the sludge on the leaves or the "pinchers" on the end of the leaves.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/663617759.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/663616678.jpg

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

maclad, Oct 22, 2:34pm
Those are a fungus called "Stinkhorn", sorry no botanical name. They are fly pollinated hence they absolutely stink and can be smelt from 100 paces. That may be a little exaggerated. I find them fascinating but have only come across two different varieties unless you class basket fungus as one.

mechnificent, Oct 22, 3:04pm
Thanks Maclad. I was hoping for the exact name. I'll keep watching.

There are several genera of similar ones. someone will hopefully spot it. These ones have flat leaves, they are squat, the leaves end in short "pinchers". They are covered in thick grey gloop.

davidt4, Oct 22, 3:20pm
Aseroe rubra

mechnificent, Oct 22, 3:54pm
Hi David. I've seen pictures of those and they look a lot different. Thanks anyway.

maclad, Oct 22, 4:07pm
Well try this one Anthurus archeri or Clathrus archeri. There seem to be many variations. Why do you need an exact botanical name. Do you wish to grow them. LOL

mechnificent, Oct 22, 4:13pm
Seen the Clathrus. It's different.

I'll google the Anthurus.

Ha yeah, on my windowsill. I just like to be able to name things. Ya know. It interests me.

mechnificent, Oct 22, 4:29pm
And no. not like any of those ones shown either.

The leaves on this are flat. All the pictures seem to show them as being fleshy like an aloe.

maclad, Oct 22, 4:38pm
They don't have leaves

mechnificent, Oct 22, 4:56pm
Yeah ok smarty. haha.

You know what I mean though. These are flat like kelp. I've looked in google before over the years and never spotted it yet.

schnauzer11, Oct 22, 5:05pm
Davidt4's correct with A. Rubra. Lucky you-I've only once found one.

mechnificent, Oct 22, 5:18pm
Well I'm not expert on things but when I google images of any of the ones suggested, they all look different to the several I've found over the years. particularly the way the pincher is proportioned on the end of the "leaves". And does that "leaf" have a proper name ?

I find them in leaf litter Schnauzer. normally pretty dry leaf litter, and in sunny places.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I'll keep the names and keep rechecking the google files occasionally. or do you reckon I should just label my photo and submit as one of the suggested names. haha.

At least then when I look it up I'd see an example that looks like my ones.

maclad, Oct 22, 5:22pm
Guess genetics and cross pollination come into this a bit. And do not call me smarty, thanks, was trying to help.

docsportello, Oct 23, 8:10am
I saw one of those, or something similar, growing on a hill in a vineyard. Got the fright of my life, it looked like the aliens had finally landed. The one I saw was more yellow-green in the throat, and didn't have the delightful sludge.

mechnificent, Oct 23, 8:57am
No offence intended with the "smarty" comment Maclad.
Notice taken.

Is there a correct term for those "leaves" ?

mechnificent, Mar 1, 7:17am
Yeah they are pretty bizarre Doc. You sure jump not to step on one by accident I can tell you. Evil looking things they are !